• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    edit-2
    30 days ago

The show was started with a pair of guys - I forget if they were brothers but they were at least reputedly friends - who had a vision of what they wanted to do. They broke apart as the show was renewed after the first seasons though, hence that immediate drop in quality from this magical wonderland to “grrr, watch beast go smash into goo”.

From what I read, they told themselves they would have (at least) two rules: (1) never use CGI - only puppets - for the purity of what seeing them, and more importantly not seeing them, conveys; and (2) do not “sell out” the show merely for reasons of profit. Money is fine but don’t continue it unless there is a real story that wants to be told.

After the financial success of the first season, one of the co-creators left, and the second season was literally a different show, yet Netflix lied to us all and heavily pushed it as if it were the same as the first, for profits. It backfired, and revealed all the more how Shitflix just pushes forward purely for profits at the expense of offering much that is actually worth watching.

But if it got better after that, I might push through, one day. :-|

Edit: oops, I meant this in reply to Spider2013@lemmy.world’s comment.

• mozingo
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      30 days ago

Where are you getting this information? I see that the Duffer Brothers were still on as producers and writers for season 2.

What I am reading is that they originally intended for the show to be a one-off or an anthology, but once they realized that they had a massive success, one that relied heavily on the likability of the kids, they changed their mind and started working on a sequel. Season 2 sucks because they were never intending on making it, and had a time crunch. With the later seasons though, they’ve known they were going to make them for years, and they had time to write better interconnected stories, so they’ve been improving with season 4 and hopefully 5.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        130 days ago

Really? I recalled reading an article about season 2, when I tried to look up wtf happened bc season 2 was just so shockingly bad, and incongruously so seeing at how great season 1 was. Their relationship must have just been strained but not broken, or the article could have been making shit up, or perhaps over time I’ve misremembered things. But I definitely recalled how one or more likely both of them wanted to use puppets (in season 1) but then had to make that mess of a CGI crap monster in season 2 - as you say for the sake of the deadline (aka profits over the integrity of the storytelling process, if they could have taken the time to have done it right).