cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/16149785

Cross-posting here for more opinions.

Gentlemen, just for context, I usually use Linux. I have been a user of Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora for a few years.

Recently, I acquired a decent graphics card (GeForce RTX 4070) and decided to uninstall my Windows and install Linux.

I saw that Pop!_OS already has an image with everything pre-configured for Nvidia. Is this pre-configuration worth it, are the games more stable on this distribution, or is it the same as manually installing Nvidia’s proprietary drivers on Manjaro?

• @yala
    link
    624 days ago

I wanted to know from OP why they’re considering Manjaro.

Because it’s an excellent distribution which is also in the top of the Steam Survey (alongside Arch, Ubuntu, Mint and PopOS) (and Flatpak, and Steam Deck’s SteamOS).

I’d argue it’s to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian. Do with that whatever you will.

Btw, ProtonDB’s numbers show that Manjaro is losing lots of ground over the years. I won’t deny that the negativity around it plays a significant role in this. However, to me, if it’s already installed on your device, your experience with it is simply more important than whatever’s said about it. Therefore, I’d argue that Manjaro’s ever decreasing market share has to be linked to users being ever so upset of its vision, direction and mishaps.

It’s a rolling distro but mitigates the risks of bleeding edge with a curated stable branch, offers LTS kernels going back to 4.19 but you can choose LTS or newer versions or RT patches, it does not force you to switch kernel version if you don’t want to, has visual management tools for packages, kernel management and driver installation, does a great job installing drivers during install, comes with extra safety features (update rollback built-in if you use BTRFS for root), Steam works great, you can use AUR and Flatpak etc.

All of that is cool and all, but trust is what it’s all about. And honestly, I think someone should get a diagnose for Stockholm syndrome if they’re still putting up with Manjaro after all it has done.

• lemmyvore
      link
      fedilink
      English
      224 days ago

Manjaro has been nothing but perfect to me, starting with doing everything perfectly when I first tried its live ISO (recognized all hardware, played everything, saw everything on the LAN, connected to everything etc.) and in the years I’ve been using it.

• @yala
        link
        324 days ago

I’m glad to hear that it has been working out for ya.

But, you see, I don’t dismiss the fact that you and others like you are still using and enjoying Manjaro. In fact, as I just stated already, I’m happy for y’all. However, why do you dismiss/belie/behave like an ostrich that burry their head in the sand when so many others voice their concerns?

• lemmyvore
          link
          fedilink
          English
          124 days ago

How do I bury my head? I’m the one who’s been using it for years and speak from experience. Do you use it? What are your problems with it?

• @yala
            link
            224 days ago

I will make my case clear of what I meant earlier:

Me:

• Doesn’t understand by everything that has already been mentioned under this post why one is considering Manjaro.
            • But, I am glad to hear that it has been working lovely for some people.
            • Doesn’t accuse those who’ve enjoyed using Manjaro for lying, being not genuine or misrepresenting reality.

You:

• Argue why Manjaro should be considered.
            • Mention how your experiences don’t quite align to the ones others are experiencing.
            • Your reception to concerns:

That page is not legit criticism, it’s a bunch of nonsense. It misrepresents what Manjaro does, outright lying in some cases, it fails to understand how package updates and AUR work, it glosses over the fact that Manjaro helped the AUR infrastructure. It’s prejudiced information made out specifically to make it look bad.

There is not one pertinent criticism in there. It’s all meaningless drivel presented as legit concerns.

I suppose I don’t need to spell it out for ya. How about, instead of taking the subject to other places, you address the following elephant in the room:

All of that is cool and all, but trust is what it’s all about.

• Do you aknowledge that trust is the end all be all for considering a distro?
            • Do you outright deny every single thing mentioned in the infamous Manjarno?
            • If so, are you aware of any place where (with facts) a rebuttal (or something similar) can be found?
            • If not, could you write up one yourself? So that we may benefit from that as a community.

I like for the truth to prevail. And for injustice to be stopped. If Manjaro is actually accused of crimes they’ve not committed and if (therefore) misinformation is spread, then I’d desire that the world is ridden of that fake news.

• @yala
            link
            edit-2
            23 days ago

Do you use it?

Nope.

What are your problems with it?

If you meant problems from usage; none, as I’m not using Manjaro.

Besides, I don’t need to use Manjaro to state the problems some of its users have experienced.

Btw, I’ve read your comment(s) under this post in which you clearly outline your thoughts on Manjarno. Thank you for those insights! My only question at this point would be have you (or whosoever) voiced this to Manjarno’s maintainer?

I say this, because I believe this approach to be a lot more effective and productive than discussing this with random people on Lemmy. Heck, one of Manjaro’s contributors has opened issues in Manjarno and it has gone as you’d expect; i.e. the truth prevailed and Manjarno changed some of its content to better represent reality.

Or, have you (or whosoever) considered writing up a ‘Manjaryes’? In which, most misconceptions regarding Manjaro are addressed and discussed.

• @yala
            link
            122 days ago

Yo! Apologies for the spam. I just wanted you to know that I appreciated this interaction and adore your enthusiasm towards Manjaro. Wish ya tha best. Bye!