I’d like to install linux mint xfce 21.3 and xubuntu 24.04 alongside the already present debian 12.5, but I don’t know if I have to create the partitions before installing or if I’m guided to create the partitions while installing.

On debian 12.5 there are 3 partitions already: /boot/efi, /boot and nvme0 without a mount point, which I encrypted. I used lsblk to get this information.

Incidentally I ask: in the encrypted partition I reserved 50% of space for my home directory, created LV (logical volumes) for /var (9.2GiB) and /tmp (2 GiB) as well. Can I edit the size of these LV?

The other question is, am I installing too many distros on the same computer? CPU is an Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

• @yala
    link
    523 days ago

I’m afraid that you won’t get an answer from OP. Based on the last couple of days, and OP’s many posts, we’ve noted that OP has only rarely answered questions. I don’t think it will be different this time.

So, while I can’t read their intentions, I will provide my thoughts.

OP is a newb. And has asked this community many different (but somehow related) questions.

OP was on Xubuntu, but experienced a problem. After they saw that the solution involved more steps than they’re willing to take, they instead opted to switch distros. After prompting the community for some input and inspiration, they decided to go for Debian with Xfce. However, they’ve experienced a bunch of things since that have made them second-guess their choice; Xubuntu was perhaps better at some things AND Linux Mint Xfce was actually the popular pick in their earlier community prompt.

So, in order to resolve their second-guessing, they intend to put them all to the test simultaneously though multi-boot before finalizing their decision.

• Cyborganism
      link
      fedilink
      323 days ago

Sorry, but I don’t think that’s a pretty positive and constructive attitude to have in a thread where someone is asking for help. Especially if they are newbies.

In fact, OP has answered my reply.

• @yala
        link
        223 days ago

I’m glad to be proven wrong.

Thank you for being more optimistic than I am.

• @yala
        link
        123 days ago

I honestly suspect the main issue is related to either the opinionatedness of Ubuntu compared to Debian or the absence of Snap. Why do you think that Distrobox will help them with their choice?