Just wondering what people are using to meet the 2FA requirement GitHub has been rolling out. I don’t love the idea of having an authenticator app installed on my phone just to log into GitHub. And really don’t want to give them my phone number just to log in.

Last year, we announced our commitment to require all developers who contribute code on GitHub.com to enable two-factor authentication (2FA)…

• @delirious_owl
    link
    1322 days ago

Yeah I just want to type my name to be able to withdraw money from my bank account. No pesky pins or passwords or any form of authentication /s

• @Zeroxxx@lemmy.id
      link
      fedilink
      -321 days ago

Even in my bank’s ATM there’s only one password, not 2FA. 2FA is 2 factor auth, there’s no 2FA in the ATMs.

It doesn’t mean the initial password isn’t a layer of authentication, but strictly speaking where I live all ATMs do not employ 2FA.

• @vvv@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        621 days ago

The two factors at an ATM are possession of your bank card + knowledge of your pin. (it also takes your photo, for good measure)

GitHub will happily accept a smart card or whatever, if an extra plastic rectangle jives with you more than an OTP generator.

• @Reddfugee42@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            320 days ago

“Something you have” is absolutely not equivalent to “something you know”

You are completely unable to enter this conversation, but you think you’re the smartest one in the room.

I bet you’re insufferable.