https://lemmy.world/post/16211417

Lemmy.ml, like lemmygrad.ml and hexbear.net, has consistently been accused of improper Federation practices and many instances have decided to ban one or both of the latter by default, with many individual users having already gone further to block the former as well. However, many individual users on lemmy.ml seem unaware of the accusations of the practices of their admins, and some people go so far as to see lemmy.ml as a sort of default instance on the Fediverse.

This discussion promotes wider knowledge of the situation and what might be done about it in the future, in order to e.g. not turn away new potential Federation members (Fedizens?:-) that could otherwise associate what happens on that instance as something relating to the Fediverse as a whole.

• @OpenStarsOP
    link
    English
    323 days ago

I should say that I have no skin in this game, and haven’t even looked into the depths of the content as perhaps you have. I just wanted to promote people looking at the (meta) discussion about the matter, in large part bc regardless of whether the (temporary) bans were justified or not, there is a more important issue (it seems) as to whether proper procedures were followed to achieve the end goal. e.g., were database manipulation practices used to obscure those removals? And why were people removed from many communities at once, rather than e.g. an instance ban or a community ban? Those topics sounded interesting to me.

Thank you for adding additional perspective here. I hope you added it to the post itself as well.