Maven, a new social network backed by OpenAI’s Sam Altman, found itself in a controversy today when it imported a huge amount of posts and profiles from the Fediverse, and then ran AI analysis to alter the content.

• JackbyDev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      213 days ago

PM never implied any form of end to end encryption. It only ever meant people couldn’t see it apart from site operators. I genuinely don’t believe people thought it meant otherwise.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        edit-2
        12 days ago

But on a federated system, everyone can see all messages. That’s expected.

• JackbyDev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          412 days ago

No, should just be your instance admin and the admin of the instance your messaging.

• @QuadratureSurfer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      213 days ago

They’re called DMs not PMs

? Did you mean that the other way around? And if you did… forgive me, I don’t really use Mastodon. I was never much of a twitter fan. I don’t really like how all of my likes are public (although I guess I have had to get used to that with Lemmy).

• @delirious_owl
        link
        813 days ago

No. They’re direct. They’re not private.

• @QuadratureSurfer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          513 days ago

Ah, I see. So it’s the same mistake that Lemmy users make when thinking that Upvotes/Downvotes aren’t public.

It sounds like DMs on Mastodon are public, but are commonly mistaken to be private then?

• @delirious_owl
            link
            212 days ago

I don’t know why anyone would think any of this stuff is private. It can be pseudonyms, but that’s up to you.