• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    914 days ago

He could try, but he can’t be everywhere - that one takes vigilance to stop before it happens, i.e. us.

• Carighan Maconar
      link
      fedilink
      1714 days ago

And by vigilance, you mean changing laws to ban free possession of weapons, hopefully?

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        edit-2
        14 days ago

That would be one way.

I have thought long and hard and have been unable to come up with any other alternatives.

I do wonder if ghost guns may change things, but even so I doubt they can shoot e.g. 1000 rounds per minute. Anyway we should do something, rather than the literally nothing that is currently done.

Edit: to be clear, I am totally okay with people owning 1770’s style muskets:-), it’s those ones such as used in the Vegas shooting scenario that are unprecedented in their ability to lay waste to swaths of human crowds all at once that I think might benefit the most from regulation - and even then, perhaps put exemptions such as someone having served with distinction in the military can “properly” use such. I have no idea how…or for what, but sure, you’ve earned that and it still keeps it out of the hands of the untrained masses.

• @Serinus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          414 days ago

Eventually a family member of a Republican will be shot in one of these. Maybe then we can do something about it.

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            414 days ago

I can’t recall exactly but I thought it’s already happened, and if nothing else Dick Chaney shot someone in the face, and continued on to shoot others in other ways in other trips.

Totally unconnected (yeah right! and if you believe that…), some of this money supposedly from “the NRA” actually is funnelled through from Russia. Not all, but it seems a common pipeline by which, shall we say “certain politicians” are bribed no wait yeah that’s what I meant there. At least it’s a factor that complicates things, but since it’s money it complicates it a lot.

In some other country that might even be thought of as something worth doing about, and similarly with the sacrifice of our literal and actual children. But here we cannot, bc you know, we are instead “Pro-Life”.

• Carighan Maconar
          link
          fedilink
          514 days ago

And yet the consistent element between the countries with lots of mass shooting vs the ones with very few of them is how easy respectively difficult it is to get a weapon. Coincidence? Possible. But there’s enough evidence to suggest there’s a causal link, and a significant one.