Did he do it for the memes?

• @Muscar
    link
    English
    624 days ago

And its a million times better than the alternative we are risking.

• @Asifall@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      3524 days ago

True, but I feel like people have been talking past each other about this.

On the one hand, you have people saying Biden’s cabinet would do a better job than Trump, which is true. On the other hand, you have people saying Biden is going to lose to trump unless he somehow makes a dramatic turnaround in the next couple months, which is also true according to all available data.

The real question isn’t whether Biden is better than trump, it’s whether Biden would serve the country better by stepping down.

• Cowbee [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        624 days ago

Exactly. Biden is a lost cause electorally, regardless of how good or bad he is, because he has tanked his approval with his own voterbase. Nobody is going to see Biden and then vote for Trump, they would just sit out or vote third party. Biden is just handing the win to Trump.

• @OpenStars
          link
          English
          123 days ago

Nobody is going to see Biden and then vote for Trump,

I am not so certain of that. Granted the numbers would be low, but given how the Electoral College works, the entire election may hinge upon precisely that.

We’ve been down this road before, in both of the previous elections.

• Cowbee [he/him]
            link
            fedilink
            English
            123 days ago

The number is non-zero, sure, but close to it. “Nobody” is just to drive the point, the DNC’s best path to victory is to reengage their voterbase with popular policy and firmly standing against genocide. The “fall in line” narrative works for only so many people, and it may not be enough for the DNC to win, so the DNC should focus on voter outreach instead of fearmongering about Trump for a third election cycle in a row.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        edit-2
        23 days ago

Except that’s not the real question, bc he’s already said that God Himself could not cause Biden to step down (I’m being literal here). He’s doubling, tripling, and whatever more down, digging his heels in and refusing to even consider that option, regardless of who asks.

At this point he is either removed by force - which won’t happen - or it’s already over.

And either way, the SCOTUS ruling holds firm.

I wish him luck, but I don’t expect good things to come. Even if he wins, heck even if he like rigged the election at this point and gave himself a large majority of numbers in the process, the other side won’t believe it and there’s a goodly chance of an actual civil war, or something along those lines (bad riots or such). Or maybe I’m full of shit, but it bothers me so much that everything that I say sounds “fatalistic” to my own inner ear - except that word means closing your eyes to the truth and choosing to believe only the worst, whereas this is my attempt to be realistic with eyes wide open!? I am saying that it does not bode well that this seems a realistic possibility rather than hyperbolic exaggeration of words for like comedic effect:-(.

Once again, there’s like ~11% of the country who is die-hard Trump red maga, another ~11% Biden blue maga, and the LARGE majority of us in the middle don’t matter in the slightest as we get caught between these two extremes (Russian oligarchy encroachment vs. American oligarchy establishment, tbf the latter cares far more about the common folk, but is really bad at showing that).

• @pyre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      223 days ago

as Jon Stewart also pointed out, but that’s not the issue here. the issue is expected performance. people expect want one of them to be a crazy loon. the other not so much. so when he acts like he’s not all there people are concerned whether he can perform well enough at the election to defeat the fascist. the polls aren’t optimistic.