new to this linux stuff sorry

• @infinitevalence
    link
    -411 months ago

It’s also a meme because people who are on Arch like to tell you about it because it makes them seem better since it’s not easy mode.

Kinda like vegans or Android users.

I’m on Manjaro an arch based distro BTW.

• @Owljfien@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      511 months ago

People brag about Android? I’ve not once heard anyone bring up what type of phone they use unless contextually relevant or asked

• @infinitevalence
        link
        211 months ago

that’s the joke, people often say “By the way I use Arch” ironically.

• @floofloof@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

The vegan comparison’s a bit of a tangent but most vegans I know keep their heads down because they only need to mention it once for everyone to start complaining that they did. It’s not really fair to characterize them as wanting to live life on hard mode and brag about it. They genuinely want to protect and respect animals, they find it’s not so hard after all, and mostly they do it discreetly.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

… but most Arch users I know keep their heads down because they only need to mention it once for everyone to start complaining that they did. It’s not really fair to characterize them as wanting to use Linux on hard mode and brag about it. They genuinely want to fully customize thier system, they find it’s not so hard after all, and mostly they do it discreetly.

• @dino@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

This is a thing of the past, everybody can have a running arch distro without any Linux knowledge nowadays. Archinstall, EndeavourOS etc.