This stupid topic again

But sure

• @Allonzee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Bernie is too old, she’d be my top pick in Congress by far.

But the Party probably wants to go maximum hail corporate neoliberal, especially when there isn’t a pesky primary to deal with, because thats what they’re paid to do.

You know, someone who will come to continue to protect our beloved economy… from our society and the needs of our people. Better than fascism, but just extending the meaningless subsistence in service to the owner class.

• @LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      342 months ago

AOC isn’t even in the conversation though. I think she’d face fierce opposition to even getting the nomination. She’s a pretty divisive figure.

• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        2 months ago

The fact that she’s a conservative bogeyman is kind of besides the point. The neoliberal, corporate-friendly leadership of the DNC would NEVER let her get close to the nomination. They did the same thing to Bernie 8 and 4 years ago.

link
          fedilink
          72 months ago

That’s exactly what I was referring to.

To be clear, the Democratic leadership is not all powerful. The people can push through a nominee leadership hates if we unite. But given the nature of this nomination process, party leaders have an exceptional amount of power this year, and the people have very little.

• @blazera@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        92 months ago

Wha…what do you mean not in the conversation, you are literally conversing with someone about her, on a front page post about her. She is popular, and no presidential candidate has ever not been divisive. Not being trump is divisive.

• nifty
        link
        fedilink
        72 months ago

So what if she’s divisive? Trumps running mate called him hitler at one point. No one wanted Trump, he came in and won the voters hearts with his vision, grotesque as it may be for other people. People want certainty and vision in uncertain times.

link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Narrowly and due to lies, intimidation, and structural advantages the right has in this country. Wouldn’t work for the left.

Besides, I was just saying that we the people aren’t really making this decision, and the ones that are won’t pick AOC.

• nifty
            link
            fedilink
            32 months ago

I get your point, but I was saying that the RNC was super anti-Trump to start

link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Oh well I actually agree that the left can push through a candidate that party leaders dislike if we got organized. But usually the left isn’t very good at that, and there’s no time to do so in this specific case.

• JayCeeFOSS (He/Him/Woke)
            link
            fedilink
            52 months ago

@LibertyLizard

Agreed, it’s not in anyone’s interest to test the supreme court ATM.
            I said it once here, a couple times before, & I’ve said it a few times in passing conversation in person. I would vote for AOC and I think she’s wonderful. 👍

link
              fedilink
              22 months ago

I like her too but I personally am not sure her popularity is broad enough to be president. But we’ll see. I hope you’re right.

• @littlewonder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

She gets labeled as “divisive” because she’s a woman and she’s not a centrist. Name one woman who gets listed as a potential candidate and isn’t under this same garbage rhetoric.

To be clear, women can and should still be scrutinized, but not to the point where the only woman who would be a great presidential candidate is the most perfect candidate who ever lived.

• @Evotech@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

She’s not old enough anyway, need to be 35 to be president, she’s 34

Downvoted for stating facts lmao

• @Cryophilia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

AOC is standing with Biden, as is Bernie Sanders.

Fucking Fox and CNN are calling for Biden to step down.

That doesn’t seem strange to you?

• @pyre@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          12 months ago

not at all. Bernie and AOC are already hated by their party and they have no pull. openly calling for him to step down is not going to help anything, if not have an adverse effect. with biden insisting on staying all they can do is try to appeal to their progressive base who doesn’t like biden at all to vote for him because they know biden will depress the vote.

also i saw people on fox defending biden against these calls. it was basically “just let him run again dude, is he loses TFG gets to be president for 4 years then he’s gone forever… you can’t lose ONE election???” it was ridiculously desperate.

• @audiomodder@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      162 months ago

I don’t want AOC to run yet. She’s got a long political career ahead of her and folks tend to bow out of politics after they’re president.

• Jesus
      link
      fedilink
      52 months ago

It’s she old enough right now? Can she be a candidate at 34 if she will be 35 before Jan?

• @littlewonder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

She’d be the best populist candidate, since Bernie is too close in age to Biden. I also think she could really drum up support with her charisma. The only way to fight a populist like Trump is with another populist. Remember how far Bernie got with his campaigns that refused to take corporate money?

Honestly, the only people that would get in her way are the same DINO Democrats who didn’t get behind Bernie. Funny how the progressives in the Democratic party are always the ones who are told to compromise and vote for the centrist and never the other way around.

• @ramenshaman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      -22 months ago

I don’t think she could win even though I think she’s perfect. The US isn’t ready for a woman president, and a non-white one on top of that. I think that’d be pretty cool if Adam Schiff ran with her as his VP.