cross-posted from: https://yall.theatl.social/post/3229309

From the Atlanta Daily World:

In a surprising yet increasingly common move, Microsoft has quietly dismantled its team dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).  The decision, communicated via email to the affected employees on July 1, cited “changing business needs” as the reason for the layoffs. While the exact number of employees impacted remains unclear, the team’s lead didn’t … Continued

The post Microsoft Says Bye-Bye DEI, Joins Growing List Of Corporations Dismantling Diversity Teams appeared first on Atlanta Daily World.

• @radivojevic
        link
        English
        42 months ago

Did anyone ever do anything with it? It probably helped emulators I guess, depending on what code leaked.

• @sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          32 months ago

It makes things worse for projects like emulators, because of any of the leaked code makes its way into their project, they can get sued. Even if it just looks like they used it to develop it, they can get sued. It’s not worth the risk, so projects like emulators will avoid that like the plague.

• @radivojevic
            link
            English
            12 months ago

No, I don’t mean copying code. I mean understanding windows api calls, and how the system works.

link
              fedilink
              English
              32 months ago

Right, but if your code happens to look similar to Windows code (which it will), you’re open to copyright takedowns, even if you didn’t copy a single line. Your best defense is saying you never looked at it.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  42 months ago

That’s literally how it works w/ WINE development. Here’s something very related to it on the WINE forums:

The source code was leaked, not released. Using it would be illegal, which is why I have deleted the links you included in your post. Do not post such things again, or you will be banned.

It’s a poison pill for WINE to use leaked source code, so the WINE developers have a strict policy against it. I’m guessing most other FOSS projects in the space feel the same way.

• @radivojevic
                    link
                    English
                    02 months ago

I didn’t say use the source. Just see how it works. If you’re trying to emulate the windows api — which is what wine is doing — it helps to have insight.