The Linux ecosystem is vast and diverse, offering a multitude of distributions to suit every need and preference. With hundreds of distros to choose from, it’s a pity that most are rarely mentioned while the popular ones are constantly being regurgitated.

This thread aims to celebrate this diversity and shine a light on smaller projects with passionate developers. I invite you to pitch your favorite underappreciated distro and share your experiences with those lesser-known Linux distributions that deserve more attention.

While there are no strict rules or banlists, I encourage you to focus on truly niche or exotic distributions rather than the more commonly discussed ones. Consider touching upon what makes your chosen distro unique:

• What features or philosophies set it apart?
  • Why do you favor it over other distros, including the popular ones? (Beyond “It just works.”)
  • In what situations would you recommend it to others?

Whether it’s a specialized distro for a particular use case or a general-purpose OS with a unique twist, let’s explore the road less traveled in the Linux landscape. Your insights could introduce fellow enthusiasts to their next favorite distribution!

• @delirious_owl
    link
    12 months ago

Qubes is great, but TAILS is def the gold standard for security

• @bsergayOP
      link
      42 months ago

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t compartmentalization through virtualization the best solution we currently have?

• @delirious_owl
        link
        22 months ago

Compartmentalization buys you disposable VMs. TAILS is amnesic, which is an improvement to this. Everything is lost between sessions

• @bsergayOP
          link
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Compartmentalization buys you disposable VMs.

And more.

TAILS is amnesic, which is an improvement to this.

How? Please focus on the security merits.

Everything is lost between sessions

If this is your reasoning to justify your earlier statement, please explain how this outdoes Qubes OS when it comes to security.

Btw, it seems you’re conflating protection against forensics with a proper security model. In terms of security, TAILS does not provide anything remotely comparable to Qubes OS. Qubes OS is literally built differently. In case you enjoy tables.

• @jake_jake_jake_@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

the idea with qubes is that whatever you are doing with tails would just be done in a tails/tor qube (vm), which are/can be amnesic.