• @kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Not that I’m suggesting that this was intentional or that he did right to wait, but there are a few upsides. Trump and the Republicans were fully prepared and frothing to take on that blubbering old man from that last debate, but now they’re actually going to make a case for Trump over a (hopefully) real contender. And many Democrat voters went from feeling defeated and apathetic, potentially enough to not even bother voting, to being charged with a second chance and a (again, hopefully) more exciting candidate to support. If Biden had declared his intention not to run again before the primaries, the Republicans would have had much longer to prepare and pick apart someone who wasn’t such an easy target, and Dems would have been infighting over the nuances of a dozen candidates and pissed off at each other. And, if Harris is the presumptive nomination, for better or worse, the knee jerk reaction from the Right will probably be to play up the racist and sexist angles, which should drive moderates away from the right, not away from Harris.

It’s all conjecture, but I only see this as a net positive compared to where we were yesterday.

• @mean_bean279@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        252 months ago

More importantly imo: it put Biden and the Dems in the news and overshadowed the attempted assassination. Which kept its new cycle short and put the dems back on top. Trump hates being out of the news, and was right that the media wants him back because they loved the numbers he provided. The DNC should make a circus out of this to keep it in the news and with constant breaking news events. It’s stupid, and I hate it, but it would help them win.

• qprimed
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I mean, 5d chess if true.

but that would be a dangerous, stupid game - and we know they would never do that, right? right?

• @Fedizen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

its more of a mr bean dodging a certain death by finding a penny after wandering into a closed off area scenario, but I’ll take it.

• qprimed
      link
      fedilink
      English
      172 months ago

agreed, never should have tried for the second bite.

however… dems now have an opportunity to own the news cycle from here until the election. if they do even a halfway decent job, we start trending from “narrow loss” -> “political landslide”.

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I don’t think all the messaging in the world can fix the reality that Biden hasn’t improved material conditions of the people who voted for him in 2020, or even gone to the mat fighting for them.

The only things he’s really gone around congress or the SCOTUS for is to deny more asylum seekers and give more weapons to Israel and Ukraine.

• @Serinus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

He absolutely has. We’re getting public transit built out. Caps on overdraft fees. Capped the price of insulin. Invalidated most non-compete clauses. Oh, and he didn’t encourage his supporters to attack the Capitol Building and hang Mike Pence.

Oh, and he didn’t get a bunch of Americans killed by Covid because he cared more about the stock market than people.

I’d also like to see Ukraine not fall to Russia.

That’s just what I can name of the top of my head. He was a better president than Obama.

• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            32 months ago

Yeah, Biden invested in long term improvement for the first time in a long time. Yeah it’s not paying out immediately, we’re struggling in part because we kept expecting immediate returns. It’s gonna stay a bit rough for a little while longer but it’s stabilizing with hope on the horizon.

Or we could cash out our savings again…

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            2 months ago

We’re getting public transit built out

Nothing around me except wider highways, nor anyone I know. Unless the brightline is part of that, which is nice, but doesn’t compete with airfare and driving.

Caps on overdraft fees

lmao just get rid of them, people who have no money don’t need less penalties, they need no penalties. There is not a “medium overdraft fees” constituency who will vote against the dems if they get rid of overdraft fees.

Capped the price of insulin

See previous response. If you have the power to cap it, you have the power to make it free.

he didn’t encourage his supporters to attack the Capitol Building and hang Mike Pence.

Stop trying to make trump’s army of divorced Jet Ski dealers sound cool. Most Americans hate congress and Mike Pence.

Oh, and he didn’t get a bunch of Americans killed by Covid because he cared more about the stock market than people.

He literally ended the covid protections, told people not to wear masks, and a bunch of Americans did receive long-term injury or death from covid before they stopped counting.

I’d also like to see Ukraine not fall to Russia.

Because of our actions, Ukraine will never be safe within our lifetimes. Every bomb we send is a bad day for someone, statistically mostly civilians. Any stance except peace as soon as possible demonstrates that you care less about the lives of the actual people living in Ukraine than you do supporting imperialism.

We could have had peace with similar terms to what we can get now two years ago, and millions would be alive and in their homes right now. But instead we decided to fight Russia to the last drop of Ukrainian blood.

He was a better president than Obama.

The patron saint of drones, who halved black wealth to bail out the banks? The deporter-in-chief who paved the way for Trump? That’s not the flex you think it is.

• Natanael
              link
              fedilink
              122 months ago

Besides everything else being nonsense, every word about Ukraine is a lie because Putin explicitly NEVER wanted peace, he wants all of Ukraine and just like with Crimea he intends to take it bit by bit. Ukraine are the ones who chose fight, and you want to abandon them so Russia can occupy them and kill all the resistance under your watch, just like they’re doing in all the regions they already occupied and control. That would spill MORE blood than convincing Russia they will lose the conflict and lose all land.

• @Impound4017@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              92 months ago

Back to back to back garbage takes lmao. Spare us your sanctimonious ‘improving things is unworthy of praise because they didn’t immediately make it perfect’ line of reasoning. It serves only to cause inaction and infighting. I’d much rather some improvement rather than no improvement.

By the way, don’t act like the Ukrainians don’t have a right to defend themselves, and don’t act like this isn’t an existential conflict for them. If you’re so worried about condemning imperialism, then maybe you should take a look at what Russia’s revanchist land grab here would be called, and then consider if maybe we should support the little guy so that they don’t get bowled over by an imperialist power looking to take back the glory days.

Anyways, nice bait.

• Natanael
          link
          fedilink
          62 months ago

Supporting unions so they got their demands for better conditions through, student debt forgiveness, everything his FTC appointment has been doing to fight monopolies, etc

• qprimed
          link
          fedilink
          English
          52 months ago

the current reality is not the future reality - thats their sell, basically obama “hope-ishness”. personally, I think it can work to keep trump out of office. this is a generational moment and the dems have it on their side.

so, with luck, we get to reject trump and, depending on the turnout, watch where progressives settle around.the seat of power.

between the dems and republicans, they have whittled down progressive representation, but its still there.

• @orclev@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            62 months ago

The real powerplay if Trump loses would be to pass an amendment setting a maximum age to run for president. Maybe tie it to retirement age. Old enough to receive social security, too old to run. Ideally you make that apply to all political offices, but I’m not that optimistic. Not that I think there’s a snowballs chance in hell of this actually happening as that would be a sane and sensible thing to do and therefore antithetical to everything our current crop of politicians stand for.

• qprimed
              link
              fedilink
              English
              42 months ago

dream big dreams.

if we manage to hobble past this brush against the mirror, then cool. maybe we don’t like the monster after all.

• @DancingBear@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            32 months ago

Whoever the candidate is, they have to avoid talking about Israel and use vague language on the issue. If they come out swinging for Israel I think it would not be a good look.

• qprimed
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              2 months ago

this is where you use surrogates. signal with the surrogates and keep yourself out of the fray.

we will learn a lot by who is doing the most interesting talking on behalf of the campaign.

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              02 months ago

No messaging or surrogate can have a good answer to “why haven’t you already done it?”

If instead of vaguely suggesting there might be a ceasefire sometime in the future if the dems remain in power, they stopped all arms shipments to Israel and sanctioned them until all Palestinians are granted equal political rights and right-to-return, you wouldn’t be asking yourself “How do I dress up support for an ongoing genocide”, you’d be telling people “We ended apartheid”

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            -32 months ago

thats their sell, basically obama “hope-ishness”

That works when you’ve had 8 years of Bush and are campaigning on free healthcare, ending the wars, federal legalization of cannabis. It works when you’ve had 4 years of Trump and everyone thinks the democrats will defund the police, provide free healthcare and college, abolish ICE, codify roe, pack the court, etc. Then when you fail to do any of that, you get the shit kicked out of you 2 years later.

The dems cannot campaign on hope when they’ve demonstrated that they will not give the people what they want.

This isn’t a messaging problem, it’s a “triangulating yourself to be 2 inches left of republicans and then acting surprised when your base doesn’t show up” for 30+ years problem.

• @PunnyName@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              82 months ago

How much of that was blocked in some way by the reps? Every time the peanut gallery chimes in with “what did Dems ever get accomplished?” they never provide the required addendum that reps are obstructionists.

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                -12 months ago

They had the house and senate in 2020. We’ve seen how effectively the dems can whip a vote to call a progressive an antisemite, so think of how much easier it would be to do something that every dem’s constituency wants done.

But there’s plenty of ways to get around congress, we have one of the most powerful executives in the world.

Don’t like ICE? You choose it’s head. Appoint someone who will fire every officer and sell off/destroy the assets.

Don’t like overturning roe? Open up military hospitals to provide contraceptive care to civilians. Withdraw federal support from states that ban abortion and if the SCOTUS doesn’t like it, tell them to enforce it.

We’ve seen Biden go around congress, but it was to send even more arms to Israel faster.

• qprimed
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              2 months ago

agreed. the Democrats have been abusive. cant really do anything about that until we have a better nomination, funding and voting system.

trump is a time dilation machine. the closer we get to him the shorter my horizon gets. keeping him away from the near dictatorial powers the supreme court just sanctioned is my primary objective.

I (and perhaps you) and many others should remember that the age we grew in defined us. the younger see things a little differently

I am just tryng to make enough space between the ancient vampires and our kids to allow them to have a say in their future.