Is the kbin project completely dead?

the repo has nothing going on

the kbin.social website partly loads with error

did it just evaporate? or what?

• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    81 month ago

Pretty much, as others have explained here. I wanted to add that in addition to its fork Mbin there is also the Sublinks project to make a new implementation of the ActivityPub protocol and thus surf the Fediverse independent of Lemmy. https://sublinks.org/ (link to GitHub there too)

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        51 month ago

Thank you, I keep mixing it up with Pixelfed in my mind and forget that it exists:-).

It looks both really primitive (e.g. comment from Rima about lack of moderation tools) yet also extremely sophisticated at the same time. Like for me the upper right hand menu bar disappears entirely in dark mode (Android Firefox) - it seems still fully functional but I could not see it to know to click under most conditions - but those category arrangements and how they improve discoverability, it just makes so much sense!

Wow, now I’m as excited about this project as about Sublinks:-).

• ProdigalFrog
          link
          fedilink
          English
          41 month ago

Yes, those image layouts are fantastic for art communities! It definitely still has a lot of rough edges, UI wise.

I think he’s made some good strides with the mod tools, as seen here: https://piefed.social/post/167045

I’m glad we have a couple promising alternatives, and it’ll be exciting to see how they evolve differently ^^

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            51 month ago

Oh wow, community wikis with version history even - that’s fantastic.

Best of all though seems to be that it is in a language that people actually use - no disrespect to Rust bc it’s arguably the best, certainly the hottest language right now, but it definitely seems to be limiting progress that so few people are willing to learn it.

• cabbage
              link
              fedilink
              41 month ago

I think it’s also worth highlighting how PieFed interactions with other fediverse services. Both a.gup.pe groups and PeerTube channels integrate super well, and you can follow them like any other community.

In practice, this means that content from technology content creators posted on PeerTube will appear directly within the technology topic; videos posted to flipboard.video are pushed directly to the fediverse topic. Discussions and upvotes are, of course, federated directly to PeerTube.

As I love the potential of PeerTube but find it lacking in discoverability, this is something I really love.

• @OpenStars
                link
                English
                31 month ago

I am glad to see this level of interactivity. At the same time, I hope it doesn’t try to do too much at once - like trying to be all things to all people holding it back too much from moving forward in any one lane, if that makes sense?

On the other hand, the developer can do whatever they want, so I totally get working on the exciting stuff, especially if they (unlike Ernst) are amenable to allowing others to flesh in the details for the stuff that they enjoy less.

Wow, the more I learn about it, the more exciting it seems!? Thanks for sharing that.:-)

• @RedSquadCampFollower@lemmy.worldOP
                link
                fedilink
                English
                21 month ago

a.gup.pe groups

Guppe groups look like regular users you can interact with using your existing account on any ActivityPub service, but they automatically share anything you send them with all of their followers.

1. Follow a group on @a.gup.pe to join that group
                2. Mention a group on @a.gup.pe to share a post with everyone in the group
                3. New groups are created on demand, just search for or mention @YourGroupNameHere@a.gup.pe and it will show up
                4. Visit a @a.gup.pe group profile to see the group history

is this like a hashtag?

• cabbage
                  link
                  fedilink
                  21 month ago

I guess the main difference is that once you tag a.gup.pe, your post gets relayed to all followers of the group - independent of whether they are already federated with you. So kind of like hashtags, but it allows content to travel further.