“Who would have declared such a war on us in Moscow?”

After six consecutive days of drone attacks on the Moscow region this week, one would think the shock of sudden late-night explosions might compel some Russians to consider what Ukrainian civilians have endured during 550 days of relentless Russian attacks.

Instead, some residents near the Russian capital have taken to social media to vent about the inconvenience of being woken up in the middle of the night, question why the “international community” isn’t coming to their rescue, and blame Ukrainian “terrorists” for targeting civilian areas. (Never mind that Moscow has repeatedly attacked residential areas in Ukraine with Iranian-made Shahed drones.)

No injuries have been reported in the recent string of attacks, and Russian officials claim to have shot down most of the drones that they say caused only “minor damage” to a building in Moscow City and several broken windows elsewhere. Kyiv has not confirmed or denied involvement in the drone strikes.

Russian media widely covered the attacks, airing interviews with residents who showed off their broken windows.

“It was scary to go up to the window,” said one man recounting his shock to wake up and find his window shattered. “This is the first time anything like this has happened to me.”

Separately, he told Deutsche Welle, “At first, there was panic. I thought the building had been hit by a shell.”

“It’s very scary. What if it hits the house next time?” another resident told DW, noting that she has a young child in the home. “Who would have declared such a war on us in Moscow?”

• mo_ztt ✅
    link
    fedilink
    English
    9910 months ago

Honestly, I get it. I’m in the US, which means my government does terrible things the world over, and I’d probably have a similar reaction if someone blew out the windows of my home with a drone strike. And I have a lot more ability to influence my government than ordinary Russian citizens do.

I think the Ukrainians are 100% within their rights to fight the war that they didn’t start, and that includes blowing up targets in Moscow. But, from the POV of the ordinary people in Moscow just living, I get it.

• @dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1710 months ago

Yeah, I started writing a response to someone saying that the normal Russians didn’t have any way to stop Putin and his cronies, but I came to the same rationalization you did. Not only do they have less ability to influence their government, they have far less real information about what’s going on than we do in the US. The propaganda is far more pervasive there (not that there isn’t propaganda here).

And it isn’t even just the US government doing bad things the way Putin is doing bad things. Remember how a small number of our soldiers acted in Iraq and Afghanistan? That wasn’t the government, those were un-elected citizens doing horrible things in a foreign country while at war. And while I wouldn’t have been happy and would have been surprised that my house had been attacked all the way over here, I would have understood.

• Teppic
    link
    fedilink
    4410 months ago

I think we should remember there is a difference between what Russian people think, and what the Russian media is reporting that Russian people think…

• xuxebiko
    link
    fedilink
    3810 months ago

Why’re we being attacked by the country we’re invading and occupying? What have we done to them, excluding rape, barbaric torture, murders, mass murders, mass burials, mass kidnapping of their children, bombing schools, playschools, hospitals, homes, theatres, shelters? Is it because we said they were Nazis? Oh! Woe is us!

• PeleSpirit
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1910 months ago

It sounds like Putin created an ignorant Republican citizenry in Russia too. I guess he had to perfect it somewhere before it being created here in the US.

• @AndyLikesCandy@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You give them too much credit. There is more corporate money backing the lobbying for corporate interests, feeding into the “private” funding for universities and funding academia and influencing education plans for primary schools, than the entire Russian economy several times over. Please go drink your verification can of mountain dew to affirm your fealty to our benevolent corporate sponsors.

• PeleSpirit
        link
        fedilink
        English
        710 months ago

I mean, Putin brags about it, lol. Could you explain what you mean by this?

Please go drink your verification can of mountain dew to affirm your fealty to our benevolent corporate sponsors, blessed be their stocks.

Are you saying that our corporate sponsors want to blame Putin for our dumb Republicans or are you saying that corporate sponsors are responsible for our dumb Republicans?

link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          10 months ago

The latter, corporations sponsor both our major political parties and are at the root of both dumb Republicans and misguided Democrats. Different corporations, different reasons in each individual case, but like bacteria all wiggling around randomly it’s moving like one big infection on society.

• PeleSpirit
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Nah, only one side performed a failed coup. Misguided dems are only loud and annoying for the most part.

link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              10 months ago

And Republicans were only abrasive until Regan made it legal for news agencies to lie to people. Evil takes many forms, not all of which are so overt as a horde of useful idiots storming Congress. There are masses of useful idiots earnestly believing they’re doing good every day because someone they trust told them something that in turn was told them by someone they trust.

• PeleSpirit
                link
                fedilink
                English
                110 months ago

Absolutely true but there is only one side performing a coup, trying to dumb down Americans and take away their healthcare rights, actual healthcare, sexual rights and minority rights as well as so much more. We are not the 1% the Republicans are helping, we are the 99% that they’re getting the money from to help the 1%

• @InverseParallax@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            210 months ago

Please, rednecks don’t need corporations to be rednecks, they were stringing people up for being “uppity” long before Rupert Murdoch made it mainstream.