If I’m not sharing, I just drop them back into the bucket/bag. If I’m sharing, I’ll just eat them.

Recently though a bucket I was sharing had so many unpopped kernels I started worrying for my gut. Had me wondering how everyone else handles this.

So how does everyone handle unpopped kernels?

• The Snark Urge
    link
    fedilink
    English
    471 month ago

Since everyone else has done the hard work of saying something insane, I’ll be the only guy in the entire fediverse who throws inedible rocks in the garbage.

Y’all. 😑

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
      link
      English
      11 month ago

I’d like to, but I’m not constantly getting up to throw them in a bin at a crowded theater. If I had a bag or smaller container to put them I would hold them to throw when leaving but I can’t think of a time I was that prepared…

• The Snark Urge
        link
        fedilink
        English
        271 month ago

Ahh I get it. This is a zero G issue. Planetside, kernels fall conveniently to the bottom of the receptacle for disposal at a convenient time. I now see how this isn’t a completely universal and obvious solution.

Maybe if you chew some gum on the way to the theater, you can stick it to the side of your popcorn tub and attach any unpopped kernels to it as you go. That would also prevent them from floating into the projection beam!

• Shadow
    link
    fedilink
    371 month ago

Put them in a baggie, then after the movie go to the popcorn people and loudly demand replacements that have been properly and thoroughly popped.

• SkaveRat
      link
      fedilink
      51 month ago

demand that they give your unpopped kernels a second round in the machine

• @iiGxC@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      81 month ago

Yeah I had no idea. It’d be fun to tell kids that if you eat them they’ll pop in their belly, similar to the watermelon seeds growing one

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
        link
        English
        01 month ago

Even uncracked ones. I’ll gently work them with my molars until they crack. Time consuming when there’s too many though

• @toynbee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      41 month ago

I never (intentionally) ate them, but when I was a kid sometimes I’d hit them with the bottom of a salt shaker. If they were still warm and especially a little bit cracked, they would sometimes then pop. Always thought that was neat.

(This might be harder to do in a movie theater. I did it on my parents’ table. Probably should have done it on a cutting board or something, but I was a dumb kid.)

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Was at a theater in south east Asia. Don’t think I’ve ever had popcorn without kernels in this part of the world except maybe in amusement parks or restaurants.

• @I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        31 month ago

What kind of restaurant serves popcorn? Is that an SEA thing? You said below you get the sweet sticky kind, is it like a dessert item?

• HatchetHaro
          link
          fedilink
          51 month ago

I believe in the eastern world, caramel popcorn is the “default”. At least, it definitely is the default here in HK; I’ve never had salty popcorn until I was in the US.

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
          link
          English
          21 month ago

I’ve been to a few that had some as starters/light snack options. One of the best popcorns I’ve ever had was at a fancy restaurant where it was just at the table before we even sat down.

I actually didn’t know salty was the normal type of popcorn in the US until my 20s

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
            link
            English
            edit-2
            1 month ago

So am I, and I’ve been to multiple SEA countries and I’ve had popcorn in multiple restaurants. I’ll admit, it’s not common, but it’s definitely a thing that exists.

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
          link
          English
          01 month ago

Yeah, that part of the world, south east Asia

• LoudWaterHombre
            link
            fedilink
            11 month ago

North West South East Asia, North South East Asia, North East South East Asia, East South East Asia, South East South East Asia, South South East Asia, South West South East Asia or West South East Asia?

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
              link
              English
              11 month ago

I’d rather not be specific, people do weird things with comment history and location. But I’ll say at least that I have been to more than a handful of SEA countries. Never seen the region broken down quite like you’re doing though

• @scoobford@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        61 month ago

I know a couple people who have broken teeth on less imposing foods.

Keep in mind that harder usually means more brittle. If you have bad teeth, you might break them on a carrot.

• @snooggums@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    81 month ago

Since I always add salt and shake my popcorn they fall to the bottom and don’t cause any issues. So I guess I accidentally handle them by moving them somewhere I don’t end up noticing them while eating.

Well, at home at least. Can’t remember when I noticed a kernel at a theater.

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Ah, my go to has always been sweet popcorns, so I guess the kernels stick and don’t fall to the bottom. I should try violently shaking my popcorn next time to see if that helps them unstick and sink

• @snooggums@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        31 month ago

Show that popcorn who’s boss!

I haven’t had caramel corn in a theater before, but love it. I usually have a napkin handy for any hard bits and just wipe my mouth white putting it on the napkin with my tongue all polite like and the stickiness keeps it stuck to the napkin to toss when I’m done.

• @DashboTreeFrogOP
          link
          English
          11 month ago

That’s a good one! Easy enough to just keep a napkin or two in your pocket before a movie, much more realistic than a baggie like a few people commented. Legit probably to most practical suggestion yet

• @can@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            11 month ago

I can’t imagine going to a theatre without at least a couple tissues in my pocket.

Or anywhere really.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 month ago

I normally just suck the flavor out of them and swallow them and hope I don’t get any of that weird film like stuff stuck in the back of my mouth.

• Chozo
      link
      fedilink
      41 month ago

that weird film like stuff

I absolutely hate those things. One of the worst toothaches I’d ever had was when I had one of those little kernel slivers manage to find its way under a tooth, all the way under the gum. After a day of agony, I had finally managed to pull something out of my gum. At first I thought it was a broken piece of tooth or something, until I noticed that it still smelled like fresh popcorn. This was several weeks after I’d last even eaten popcorn; it somehow slipped under my tooth without me ever feeling it until the day it became wildly inflamed.

I’m very careful with popcorn these days.