I was scrolling on Lemmy and I saw at least 5 Trump mug shot posts. It’s just annoying at this point.

• Herr Woland
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1710 months ago

Even though I hate giving him free advertising, the more it’s memed the faster it’ll die

• @Daft_ish@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      110 months ago

Trump is a bottomless well. He wakes up every morning and thinks to himself, “Nothing is wrong. Everything I do is tremendously smart.”

• torafugu
    link
    fedilink
    1410 months ago

It’s posted a lot because it was a rare event. How many former presidents had a mugshot taken and are STILL trying to run for president again?

• @1984@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Americans like their presidents old as fuck and insane or demented. :)

I swear, as long as they are good at talking in a way so people think they are in the same situation as the douschebag millionaire, they vote for him.

“Make America great again by voting for me, old corrupted smelly old man”.

It’s 2023 and people still believe what these guys say.

• @Saigonauticon@voltage.vn
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You know, that’s an interesting question. It looks like the answer is probably 1, but it might be 2.

It’s not entirely clear to me, but it looks like Ulysses S. Grant may have been arrested in 1872, while he was still in office. For speeding. On horseback. The practice of taking mugshots on arrest began in the 1850s, but the officer apparently did not take the president into the station, so while I bet no mugshot was taken, I haven’t been able to completely rule it out either.

Then after traveling for some time, Grant did attempt to run for office again, but failed to obtain the number of required number of votes for nomination, and a compromise candidate was chosen (Garfield, who got assassinated), but he did technically run.

Apologies if I’ve used the wrong terms or gotten some bits wrong. My knowledge of the US political system is vague at best, I’m nowhere near you guys, I’m just having a terribly slow day and work and wondered if this particular situation actually had happened before. Then I found an unexpected rabbit hole of weird historical half-truths.

• Decoy321
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1110 months ago

It’s been around for only a couple days, it’ll die down soon enough.

• @ThatWeirdGuy1001@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1110 months ago

You know what I’m gonna start posting about Trump even harder

Also just plain no. Americans have been waiting for this for the past few years and it’s fucking cathartic

• @elephantium@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      010 months ago

cathartic

Understandable, but personally, I really hate it.

What I really looked forward to after Trump’s pathetic election loss in 2020 was being able to look at reddit without 2/3 of the posts being Trump this, Trump that, trump trump trump.

I was super disappointed. While the page wasn’t all-trump-all-the-time anymore, I’d still see 1-2 Trump posts per page. That continues to this day on Lemmy :(

I want to read about good and interesting things here, not just be part of feeding a monster’s ego.

• @ThatWeirdGuy1001@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I get not wanting to see it everywhere but you also have to understand that this is really world news. This is a central figure in American politics that is actually going to trial for an attempt to overthrow American democracy.

This is a historical moment that will probably be talked about for decades regardless of which direction it goes.

• @ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              110 months ago

As another American I have been sick of his stupid name and face since 2015 myself and if there was someone to beg for the madness to end, I would too. Problem is it isn’t just Jimmy Kimmel, the entire world can’t stop talking about him for one day.

Also “it’s a historic event” applies to this one, sure, it doesn’t apply to things like “lol he’s got tiny hands” which A) Are funny once not 30k times, and B) Isn’t “a historic event” that would necessitate I see his face. Sure I get why every single lemming is obligated to work in the trump post mines to keep it going but you also have to realize not everyone wants it to keep going.

• flipht
    link
    fedilink
    510 months ago

If you want to have a meaningful conversation that might result in this changing, you will have to do that in each of the groups you subscribe to. Posting in mildlyinfuriating isn’t going to stop memes elsewhere.

• @OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    410 months ago

Sync app allows you to filter out all content based on keywords. I’ve got Trump, Biden, gop, dnc, dems, Republicans, and many more keywords filtered out. I haven’t seen one mugshot since.

It’s lovely here, now

• AlexOP
      link
      English
      110 months ago

The thing is, thes posts don’t have trump in their title…

• amio
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

They’re tricky but not impossible to block on kbin, but it’s harder to deal with the bandwagon overflow into unrelated communities.

The idea of posting to any one of several political meme communities just doesn’t occur to some people. Apparently “everything is political”…

• @HeyThisIsntTheYMCA@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -110 months ago

Instead let’s meme about this thing I found in the toilet after I pooped. I’m pretty sure it’s not poop because I don’t remember eating a live lizard. Also I have this new fear of toilet monsters and I’m in my forties.