Hello! Was hoping to make discuss.online my new home instance, but I’m having trouble accessing some communities on other instances:

They don’t show up in communities search, and trying to go to them directly returns a server error page, with an error message given like:

FetchError: invalid json response body at http://lemmy:8536/api/v3/post/list?community_name=rpgcreation%40ttrpg.network&page=1&limit=20&sort=Active&type_=All

I can access other communities on all of those instances…

… so I know it’s not an issue with them being blocked, but it seems like they’re not being fully federated either?

Anything I can do on my end to further investigate or attempt a workaround?

• jgrim of SublinksMA
    link
    210 months ago

It looks like they all work now.

This usually means that no one else on this instance subscribes to them. The best way to subscribe to a community is to search for it then subscribe. Joining a community, currently, only pulls the last 20 posts. However, if the posts isn’t present that you wish to comment on you can search for the URL of the post.

• @ElfWordOP
      link
      110 months ago

Thanks, they are all showing up now. Previously they weren’t showing up in search either, so there wasn’t a way for me to subscribe to them; from discuss.online’s point of view it seemed as if they simply didn’t exist. Maybe after searching for them / trying to visit them, that triggered something in the backend to pull them in?

• @FelipeFelop
        link
        110 months ago

Yep, basically that’s how Lemmy works. Until someone visits it, the instance doesn’t know it exists.