While dreaming my ultimate reality-checker is water since I can’t dive into it. But if you don’t live in Hawaii you can imagine it’s not very practical. I tried all sorts of techniques but all of them stopped working after some time. I tried finger counting, seeing my reflection, coin tossing. The technique that lasted the most was making a flame with a lighter that didn’t work.

A false-awakening is the moment when you wake up and you proceed doing the things you normally do but in reality you’re still dreaming. In my opinion it’s a clever way of the subconscious to trick you into believing that you’re awake and see how you would act in real life.

Today I had an epiphany. As soon as I woke up I started writing into my dream journal. Like I always do. In the last false awakening I was crying desperately because someone ripped off the pages from my diary and I couldn’t remember the previous dreams I had. I had 4 false awakenings in a row and the most difficult dreams to recognise are always the last ones.

So finally I’m going to try a new technique that makes me feel very confident. From now on my reality-checker is going to be the diary itself. I’ll keep you posted. What’s your experience with reality-checkers?

• @tengkuizdihar
    link
    English
    210 months ago

Hands or any digital display things. If they looked weird and jumbled, then im definitely in a dream.

• SCRIPTɅOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

I started that way too but over time this technique lost it’s efficiency. By the time I got good at reading everything became so real.

• @terkaz
    link
    English
    210 months ago

Looped false-awekings usually happens to me when I want wake up forcefullu bc, for e.g. I feel I have dreamed enought and I am bored. It seems that in such situation my body cannot just wake up immediately on my whim, but the dream tries to meet my expectations and thus false-awakings are created.
    Don’t need any kind of “reality-checker”. The enviorment in my dreams is rather erratic and a bit absurd, so it takes little time to expose itself. What’s more, I am different myself than I am on waking. I have more problems with critical thinking and strict reasoning, I can’t perform solid mathematical operations, my handwriting is sloppier, I am more naïve and prone to suggestion, I’m less timid and more talkative with unknown people.
    It is really obvious to me when I am dreaming and when I am not.

• SCRIPTɅOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

That’s very interesting, we have much in common. Usually at the beginning of the dream cycle I’m easily fooled and I just after waking up I realise the absurdity of the things that happened. By the end of the dream many erratic and absurd situations happened so I’m gonna be aware that I’m in the dream state.

This new approach approach is making me conscious during all the last cycles.