tweet link

If Beyond the Spider-Verse was hitting theaters next summer, we would’ve heard about it by now, as Sony would’ve assigned it a release date.

2026 seems perfectly doable, but I’m told that it would be extremely unlikely that Sony would want to release an animated Spider-Man movie and a live-action Spider-Man movie in the same calendar year, as the studio is better off staggering those two franchises.

So not only is 2027 more likely for that reason alone, but over Labor Day Weekend, I heard that Sony scrapped most of Beyond the Spider-Verse for creative reasons, and because of that decision, the movie would be unlikely to debut before 2027 given the detailed animation it requires.

While the Beyond the Spider-Verse team was taken aback by the change in direction, I’m told they’re relieved to have more time to work on the sequel, as it’s important to all involved that they stick the landing on this Oscar-winning franchise.

i wouldnt fully blame sony for this if you remember that the directors had the worst working conditions

Spider-Verse Artists Say Working on the Sequel Was “Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts”

• WhatDoYouMeanPodcast [comrade/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3710 days ago

What, did they not condemn Hamas or something? You’re venture capitalists, you don’t even care about the shit that you produce. How the fuck are you going to care about the creativity of the project?

• sneak100 [she/her, they/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      189 days ago

This is what makes me think the “creative differences” were the execs putting their foot down on making a copaganda film, when the creatives probably had something else in mind.

spoiler for spider verse 2

Who wants to bet that the alternate earth Miles ends up on at the end of the film is just an uncomplicated hero-less “crime world”.

Expecting big cringe in 2027

• halfpipe [they/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2710 days ago

I think it could survive a delay. Spiderverse is the only piece of Sony superhero slop that people are interested in, and it managed to build up a massive audience on streaming during the delay between the first movie and the second one. The Post Malone / Spiderverse video from the first movie has more than two billion views on youtube.

The multiverse gimmick is getting so played out though.

• @Empricorn@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      39 days ago

That could be true. Maybe. But Spiderverse 1/2 movies were actually amazing. I trust the creative people that made them. I don’t mind waiting, but distribution company executives interfering definitely makes me nervous…

• buckykat [none/use name]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2610 days ago

Across the Spider-Verse was good, but it was an extremely part 1 of 2 movie. Who’s even going to remember it by 2027?

• UlyssesT [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 days ago

Maybe the movie was good; never saw it. Heard nice things about it.

That said, I’m old enough to have seen Spider-Man movies get reboot origin stories… then more reboot origin stories. I lost track, and apparently this movie is an origin story about a multiverse of origin stories. Is it against comic book movie rules in some cardinal way to have a character established and then continue adventures in follow-up movies instead of rebooting the fucking things over and over again? lea-tired

• AndJusticeForAll [none/use name]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1510 days ago

Maybe you’d dislike it how I dislike it because it’s a really shallow metaphor for people arguing over (meta)narrative canon with a million different post-modern variations on spider-man and barely develops any of the characters beyond a one-note depiction of the strained relationship Miles has with his parents now that he’s regularly super heroing and showing Gwen has a bad relationship with her also-cop dad. Doesn’t do anything new that the first move didn’t do, really, especially in terms of visuals. It’s setting up the idea of just making a million navel-gazing, self-involve meta-stories about the same thing (Spider-Man) over and over and over.

• AndJusticeForAll [none/use name]
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            9 days ago

People keep doing it and keep thinking the movie lampshading/narratively simulating this topic makes it more interesting. I. DO. NOT. CARE. ABOUT. COMIC. CANON. Possibly one of the least interesting ideas going right now, especially when marxists understand how most/all ideas are either enforced or produced socially that the idea of “who decides what’s canon” is already a solved “problem”. Neoliberal nerd dipshits are still puzzled at “which Spider-Man (event) is the real Spider-Man (event)” like infants batting at keys.

• thelastaxolotl [he/him]OPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1210 days ago

the first movie was mostly the origin story of spider-man’s successor miles morales and had some multiverse elements, it was a good movie. the sequel was mostly set up for part 3 since it ended in a cliffhanger.

• UlyssesT [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        710 days ago

I did hear it was good, though I was really tired of other origin rehashes of Spider-Man, though I understand Miles Morales is a quite different origin (but still an origin story).

Cliffhangers are a fuck and in general I only watch cliffhanger movies if I’m absolutely sure they will get resolved.

• ChestRockwell [comrade/them, any]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 days ago

So when I was younger, I saw matrix reloaded and had my mind blown, so excited for revolutions because of the cliffhanger.

Then the third movie didn’t deliver.

And I realized that ending on cliffhangers like that not only so rarely pays off (infinity war might have been the only one recently), it often colors your feelings/opinions of the incompleteb(but otherwise fun movie)

You can’t say reloaded is a great movie because it defers so much resolution, but there’s so much cool stuff (the car chase is a 11/10, the fight in the chateau is sick, lots of cool shit throughout).

• Grandpa_garbagio [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        9 days ago

It works with already storylined stuff like novel adaptations, because books are meant for that and it’s generally one person with a vision. But if it’s purely cinema, there’s so many moving parts and people involved that will switch out between the two movies that it is much harder to properly have a tonally correct followup

• @Vent@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        39 days ago

The thing is, Infinity War felt like a complete film. They could have just stopped there since the ending was satisfying enough on its own.

In contrast, Spiderverse’s “ending” was just an abrupt roll-credits in the middle of the movie. It doesn’t feel anywhere close to a complete film on its own. It’s more like if someone was talking and

• ChestRockwell [comrade/them, any]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          29 days ago

everyone wants to be empire but forgets everything in empire gives the viewer a sense of closure and longing, even as there are plot threads left unresolved, the story of empire is resolved.

• macabrett[they/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    119 days ago

I still haven’t watched Across the Spider-Verse because everyone said it ended on a huge cliffhanger and I decided I’d just wait until it was finished lol

• @Vent@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      49 days ago

Yeah, it felt like half of a movie. Just kinda ends abruptly. Which is a shame, because the rest of the movie was quite good but the ending takes it down a few notches. Should be remedied once the sequel/part 2 comes out, but for now that non-ending is a blight on an otherwise great film.

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    9 days ago

meh, i’m sick of superhero movies already.

and its the same superheroes over and over again, at least come up with new ones.

• @Empricorn@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      39 days ago

I genuinely don’t mean to offend, but this is a dumb, puddle-deep criticism. You’re allowed superhero fatigue, but this franchise is very different from Marvel movies, for example. It deals with loss, abuse of power, loyalty, introspection, self-doubt and many other complicated themes.

Writing it off because it’s a Spider-Man movie is like saying “I don’t like videogames”, or “I’m sick of action movies”. Again you’re obviously entitled to your opinion, but the genre is too broad and these two movies have done more than enough to not make them cliches…

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        09 days ago

spiderman isnt as generic as action movies though. its a specific subgenre character done over and over again, but slightly different this time. i watched maybe 4 or 5 of them already before i stopped bothering.

its a story of loss and self doubt that was definetly enjoyable the first few times, but surely these studios can come up with even a new superhero?

• OgdenTO [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    9 days ago

I bet someone forgot to pay their hosting bill or something silly and all of the folders for this movie were deleted by accident. “Creative differences” yeah right

• abc [he/him, comrade/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    710 days ago

i don’t believe anything broken by someone (Jeff Sneider) who tweets something like

WHY 2027? I heard Sony SCRAPPED most of the movie and is redoing a lot of it. SUBSCRIBE so I can keep wining & dining sources and getting information out of them to bring back to you guys.

but anyways Sony historically has always fumbled their portion of the Spider-Man IP so it wouldn’t be surprising if this IS the case - I just won’t buy it until someone more reputable reports it lol