I am currently running GTA V from Heroic with Proton GE Latest. I have Fsync, Esync and Gamemode enabled. When it runs on windows, GTA V gets around 115 FPS and GTA O gets around 60-70 whilst on Linux GTA V gets around 80 FPS and GTA O gets a mere 30 FPS.
Review on the ProtonDB says GTA runs as good as native, yet in this case it’s the contrary that’s been happening, Any help is appreciated greatly :)
PS: I got all my drivers up to date, and my fs is ext4

Inxi Details

• @atmur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1210 months ago

GTX 750 ti

This GPU is right on the edge of what DXVK supports. Kepler (600/700 series) isn’t supported past 1.10.3, but the 750 ti happens to be a super early Maxwell card. Might be worth trying proton 7.0 to see if that makes a difference anyway, since that version uses DXVK 1.10.3.

• Thero RandoOP
      link
      English
      510 months ago

but the 750 ti happens to be a super early Maxwell card

Phew!

proton 7.0

That’s great to Hear, lemme give it a try

• Thero RandoOP
          link
          English
          110 months ago

Amd RX580

I will look into it, Can’t promise anything tho

• Thero RandoOP
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Unfortunately Doesn’t work. It Keeps on Crashing

• @NoXPhasma@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      910 months ago

GTAV works better with AMDVLK, as one of the very few games out there. You could give that a shot, but be aware that AMDVLK often gets selected as default, so having AMD_VULKAN_ICD=RADV in your global Env. Variables are a good idea.

And then launching GTAV with AMD_VULKAN_ICD=AMDVLK %command%.

• Aodh
    link
    fedilink
    English
    29 months ago

I’ve been having issues with GTA V on Linux too, with performance being heavily affected by a growing ram consumption that either just slows down the game, creates intense stutters, or just makes it freeze entirely by consuming every ram&swap available.

After trying a lot of different things, I have the following notes:

- Regarding FPS and/or stuttering

Using the Epic Games GTA V version, I’ve had very little success running it through Lutris (using the script for Epic Games available on their website), having severe problems regarding performance from what I assume were shader compiling shenanigans which caused constant heavy stutters, even in areas where shaders were supposedly being compiled/saved and shouldn’t keep causing stutters.

I couldn’t solve it there and instead just made a clean install through Heroic Launcher, which surprised me in not only having better performance for the game, fps-wise, but also not launching the Epic Store everytime you’d launch the game. Also no issues with shader compilation for me.

- Regarding ever-growing RAM usage

It seems to be an issue not only present in Linux, but also many forums I visited and videos on youtube I watched seem to point out that many users were affected by GTA V consuming ram endlessly, even in lowest settings, as if every area loaded is forever kept loaded into ram and swap even if they didn’t need to. This excessive usage of memory lead to slowdowns from swap being used (slower than memory) or complete freezes (not sure if it got this aggressive for other users, but it happened occasionally to me).

To workaround this, I’ve found out that a few videos on the Windows version of the game mentioned using the -memrestrict launch argument to limit how much memory GTA V could work with. Unfortunately, this is either outdated (as it’s no longer mentioned in Rockstar’s support page for the game as it’s available launch arguments) or simply does not apply on Linux.

However, that method make me think of limiting the ram usage of the whole game using some kind of Linux tool, and one exists already and has been working out for me. Using the systemd-run command, I was able to limit the amount of memory used and have a much nicer experience playing the game, even online, without exhausting RAM or SWAP.

In Heroic Games Launcher, I used it as a Wrapper as --scope -p MemoryHigh=4G -p MemorySwapMax=4G (my laptop has 8GB and a APU, so even with shared memory, this seems to work out ok, do try some other values for the limits as you see fit to your specs/situation)

• MemorySwapMax works as a limit for swap.
    • MemoryHigh works as a limit for RAM.

For more information on usage of systemd-run and it’s arguments for resource control, refer to their [page](Specify the throttling limit on memory usage of the executed processes in this unit. Memory usage may go above the limit if unavoidable, but the processes are heavily slowed down and memory is taken away aggressively in such cases. This is the main mechanism to control memory usage of a unit.).

I don’t generally play single-player GTA V, but for Online my results have been an fps range of 38-60, depending on the area (Night clubs, got my eye on you), but mostly it stays in the 48+ range.

• My specs:

Kernel: 6.4.10-202.fsync.fc38.x86_64

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics (12) @ 4.056GHz

GPU: AMD ATI 03:00.0 Lucienne (Using amdvlk driver for GTA V, do try the open-source one and see what works best for you)

• Thero RandoOP
      link
      English
      29 months ago

Thank You for Putting your time for the reply :D. I appreciate it alot Fortunately,

but also not launching the Epic Store That is the Reason I didn’t go through Lutris either

Regarding ever-growing RAM usage I will be trying this too, Thank You. Once again

but for Online my results have been an fps range of 38-60 What about your native performance? did you have a difference in that?

• Aodh
        link
        fedilink
        English
        19 months ago

By native performance what do you mean?

If it’s regarding Windows, I haven’t directly tested but found some YouTube videos regarding performance on the game for similar specs to my laptop’s (I play in 720p with FSR on) Example