Evan Prodromou, the creator of StatusNet, the OStatus protocol, and co-author of ActivityPub, is launching a dedicated nonprofit for the purpose of advocating for and supporting the Fediverse.

• Sean TilleyOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1521 hours ago

The list of shout-outs in the main announcement pertains to projects who have partnered with the SWF, and intend to support it and collaborate.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that there are more than 80 different platforms in varying states of development. Yeah, Lemmy is one of the bigger ones, and OG Threadiverse, but the list of platforms to name is absurdly long at this point. I think it makes sense for them to focus on the protocol, and immediate partners.

• @sabreW4K3@lazysoci.al
        link
        fedilink
        English
        419 hours ago

I hear you, but it features Mastodon very prominently and Mastodon aren’t exactly reputable for supporting anything. Going as far as to implement things in a manner that breaks compatibility with other Fediverse services.

• Sean TilleyOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          919 hours ago

I don’t disagree, but again, the listed platforms are launch partners who have opted to publicly support the organization on Day 1. It very well could be that they reached out to Lemmy and other projects, and didn’t hear anything back.

• DarkThoughts
      link
      fedilink
      720 hours ago

TIL Wordpress is using ActivityPub. I think one issue we have is how hard it is to find instances, communities, or even other media like this, since they won’t even show up in your search if they’re not already federated with your instance. And since many servers block crawlers, it is hard to index them externally too. I think that really limits the reach and the perceived size of the Fediverse.

• @ericjmorey
        link
        English
        111 hours ago

Why do you view these as issues to be overcome?

• DarkThoughts
          link
          fedilink
          159 minutes ago

I’m not even going to entertain this moronic point you’re trying to make. If you want to stay in some sort of tiny social media bubble I’d simply suggest you host your own instance and just defederate from everyone and everything. Then you have all your small scale communications with yourself for yourself.

• Sean TilleyOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        619 hours ago

Yeah, discovery remains one of the big domain area problems for the network. There’s some promising work happening in the space, but it’ll be a while before we see something.

Incidentally, our publication is federated, and can be followed at @news@wedistribute.org!

• @sturlabragason@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    6 hours ago

I found it a bit strange that their “Follow us” section didn’t have a Fediverse link. I expected a Mastadon user or something.

https://lemmy.world/pictrs/image/c7a4b664-3d49-4f35-9d6f-ab6fe48a58af.png

• Fitik
      link
      fedilink
      420 hours ago

@sturlabragason@lemmy.world There’s is one on @swf@socialwebfoundation.org ( !swf@socialwebfoundation.org ) , I don’t know what they haven’t linked it

@deadsuperhero@lemmy.world

• Handles
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 hours ago

I don’t know what they haven’t linked it

They sort of have, but without a lot of explanation: it’s the self link directly under the “follow us” header. [Edit: in my browser, the link just directs to the main SWF page, because Wordpress’ ActivityPub plugin is still imperfect.] You have to navigate to their contact page to have it formated as a proper ActivityPub address.