• @fairchild@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    222 hours ago

Heya, are there any other requirements besides the Macros, Layout and no Keychron? How much does he want to spend? Material? And I guess more important, similar style or open for something else? Personally, I haven’t had a look at keyboards of this size and style at all, as gaming isn’t my priority or the vibe I’m after – which is probably the case with most people on here (based on posts in this community). Maybe easier to recommend anything with a bit more info… Just skimming over some vendors, full size with makros are rather rare and kits are kinda pricy? TKL or something along those lines would probably be easier to find w/macros (I assume). I really fell in love with the Lemokey L3 for how it looks, which has Macros but its a gaming sub-brand of Keychron(!) and smaller Layout, so this won’t be a good recommendation at all. Hope someone else can help in this case and that your co-worker will find one he likes!

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      121 hours ago

He is familiar with mostly full sized, but I sent a few alternates like Alice. Materials/cost will be evaluated after his other priorities.

I dont think he would be happy with anything less than a TKL. Knowing the kind of work a 10keys are probably a requirement but I did send him some split num pads.

• @wjrii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    21 hours ago

If he’s not looking to change the layout or aesthetic, maybe a Razer BlackWidow v4 or a Logitech G815 or Corsair K100. Or he could go cheaper and move the macro keys to the very top with a Redragon K580, though I’d buy from someplace with easy returns for them.

I gotta admit though, gamer stuff that adds extra greeblies and ugly little microswitch buttons are not my jam. On the other hand a basic floating switches low profile “case” gets too much hate. Not everything needs to be a giant slab of machined aluminum. Ultimately, a column of macro-keys on the left is just not super common in the hobbyist space (though there are options, as you know), even less so when a board is already 100% width, though you could go full-bonkers and recommend him a buckling spring monster.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      121 hours ago

Im not sure i want to recommend something with OEM software and soldered switches because then he is right back to the same situation

• @wjrii@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        120 hours ago

Yeah, just a tough ask all around, though hotswap at least is moving into the gamer space.

Monsgeek M5 has 108 keys, so you’ve got an extra four to play with, but you’ll probably find the best QMK fit somewhere in that batch of Keychrons.

• Zarlin
    link
    fedilink
    122 hours ago

https://wooting.io/

No macro keys on the left, but the whole keyboard can be macro-ed. Also the hall effect switches are just about indestructible.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      122 hours ago

Thanks, but this guy is not the Macro on any key kind of person which is why i was specifically looking for macro keys.