I see a habit of people downvoting every post from the Youtube auto-posting bot. This bot posts each video from select LTT Channels when they are released.

I’ve noticed a habit of people downvoting them all. I assume from the issues brought to light. I’m not sure that downvoting is productive, as it may not represent the actual quality of the content.

I’m not a fan of brigading but I’m also not a fan of posting content that no one wants to see.

Please, leave your comments on how you feel about the posting bot.

Thanks, Jason

• @Jakor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    1010 months ago

Honestly, what else are we going to post about in here? I think the bot posts are a nice way to categorize conversations here on the only real talking points 99% of the time.

There will be a few other threads from time to time, but I really don’t see any need to downvote bots - it’s not like the amount of video posts are amounting to spam

• @jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    410 months ago

I too would keep the bot. I wish lemmy allowed you to only count votes of people subscribe to the community. There’s just going to be brigading for a while. There’s a lot of outspoken groups on Lemmy, and it’s a small community right now, so they’re just going to see it in their all feed. We’ll just live with it

Sometimes I want to post a comment about the video, and I like to do it here. Appreciate what you’re doing

• Spacellary
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I actually like the bot, serves as an alternative feed to YouTube’s, also for those that really don’t like it, just block the bots. You can disable bot content in your Account settings. This is valid for any community you’re on.

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

IMO downvoters should unsub from here, and instead sub to one of the several other LTT communities that don’t have an autoposter.

The posting bot provides a platform for discussion of the videos, especially for those of us who watch via a third party frontend like Piped, Libretube, Newpipe, Invidious etc.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
    link
    29 months ago

I’ll keep the bot going. It seems like the majority enjoy the feed.

Let me know if you want any other channels added.

• @Herbert_W
    link
    29 months ago

It’s auto-posted videos by Linus that are being downvoted, and the “by Linus” seems the more relevant factor than “auto-posted.” I’ll admit that I’m a little bit out of the loop, I am aware that there’s several major controversies surrounding Linus right now. Videos critical of Linus are being upvoted, sometimes dramatically.

This situation has the smell of a bog-standard internet controversy. Linus’ reputation might or might not recover when people forget about the whole thing. His media group might or might not end up distancing itself from him before that happens.

If there’s any action that I’d recommend taking in response to all of this, it’d be re-evaluate whether you want to say “they’re awesome” in the sidebar. Right now you might be unintentionally giving the impression that you (and by extension the moderators and by extension the community) are on Linus’ side. I assume that you’d rather support a neutral discussion space (but I could be wrong).

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      19 months ago

You are right. I’ve removed some of the fandom that was put there from the start.