link
      fedilink
      197 hours ago

We’ve got shirts for this in Salt Lake City. They read “SL,UT”

• @MintyFresh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      158 hours ago

Lol I thought this for years! I always thought it was a bold choice for a bumper sticker. I was like “Ya! You do you!” To be honest idk what they mean by salt life. Slut life I could wrap my head around. But salt? Do they harbor ambitions to become deckhands?

• @KrapKake@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      6 hours ago

I really thought it was “slut life” for years until I thought, “Surely not this many people right?”. So I searched online for slut life sticker and that’s when I learned it was salt and not slut.

• @EffortlessEffluvium@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    45 hours ago

I’m rather late to the party, but a lot of posters seem to think Salt Life is geographical. It’s a brand name of clothing by Delta Apparel. They make a lot of other brands like MJ Soffe. That doesn’t mean that the decals aren’t put on cars driven by posers, though.

• @SacredHeartAttack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4310 hours ago

I grew up on the water. Saw these stickers everywhere. Cool, we all go to the beach all the time, we live on an island.

Then 7 years ago I moved to central PA. I see one of these stickers on cars here all the time. I’ve been making fun of it for years. I think they don’t know the river here is fresh water.

• @Infynis@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      148 hours ago

Do you see people with the Unsalted decals as well? There are a ton of those here in Michigan, with the same font, and I’ve seen them in surrounding states as well. Maybe the areas on the border should get Brackish stickers lol

• Flying SquidOPM
        link
        fedilink
        88 hours ago

I would almost put a “brackish” sticker in that font on my car. Almost.

• @Asetru@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    2810 hours ago

As somebody not from the US of A… What is a “salt life decal” and who would or wouldn’t have one?

• @InquisitiveApathy@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 hours ago

In America, there’s a very popular car windshield decal sticker that people put on that says “Salt Life.” It specifically just means someone visited a popular beach vacation spot called Myrtle Beach, SC. The people who put it on tend to being almost exclusively sporty douchebags and suburban moms.

That’s about it.

Edit: changed NC to SC

• Yes. That’s the remnants of a massive hurricane that just pushed through Florida. Hurricanes sometimes bring salt water with them in the form of rain many miles away from the coast. When I was very young, there was one time where there was a massive hurricane here that was bad enough that we were evacuated, and when we came back, the glass door at my dad’s office was covered in so much salt that it looked like frosted glass. And that office was miles away from the beaches.

This is basically the only time those idiots with the “Salt Life” stickers hundreds of miles from the coast will see salt water.

• @Rooskie91
          link
          edit-2
          9 hours ago

They’re everywhere. I saw them in Hawaii and locals make fun of people that have salt life merch. I think it’s a clothing brand marketed to people with boats and sport fishermen.

• @baggachipz@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        610 hours ago

sporty douchebags

That’s generous. Most of the ones I see are the fat rednecks with goatees. The kind who set a photo of them with a caught fish as their BoomerBook profile pic.

• Flying SquidOPM
          link
          fedilink
          38 hours ago

Yeah. I’m in Indiana. We don’t have a lot of sporty douchebags, but we do have a lot of fat rednecks with goatees. And a lot of Salt Life decals.

• @baggachipz@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    1811 hours ago

went to Myrtle Beach once on Memorial Day weekend

sALt LiFe

They also get to use their pointless bro-dozers! Go on, you can drive through the water across the road!

• Flying SquidOPM
      link
      fedilink
      2310 hours ago

I went to Myrtle Beach once. I was super stressed out from my job and I had a deep need to see the ocean and it was the closest spot from where I was in terms of driving where I could see ocean.

What a shithole.

I’m glad I stayed in a tent in the state park and I hate camping.