I recently got a magic flight launch box to try out since I’ve read dry herb vapes are better on your lungs.

I’ve used bowls, bubblers, bongs, and joints most of my life so not well versed in the non-burning flower options (probably not the right phrase).

Curious what others think of the magic flight vapes or if I should look for something more sophisticated with temperature control.

For background I don’t smoke a lot at a time but do it most days in the evenings to take a load off my brain.

Thanks for the feedback and community!

• Delta 3D Studios
    link
    fedilink
    English
    310 months ago

Ah the Magic Flight Launchbox (aka MFLB) was a cult classic back a decade ago. It was one of the best and stealthiest devices on the market… once you get the hang of using it. The problem is that it is not the easiest vaporizer to handle - much more of an “analog” device.

Don’t throw it out, but certainly stash it away until you become a more “experienced” vaporent.

Temperature control can be handy… depending on what you personally seek from the flower. Different temperatures don’t simply mean “bigger clouds” - the reality is that different temps release different active compounds from the flower. This means you can “customize” your sesh based on your desires. For example I like lower temps in the mornings for a more uplifting creative affect, and higher temps in the evening for sedation. Others need high temp at all times for pain relief and sedation. That’s fine, not all of us seek the same thing from the plant, and part of the fun is discovering what temps work best for you personally.

First, price does not equate to performance. That MFLB can out perform a bunch of vaporizers that retail for over $200… once you know how to handle it properly (which takes a lot of practice… and patience loading the device with ultra finely ground material - this device needs some of the finest ground herb of any device on the market).

Next, know that not all devices perform the same - vapor flavor, heatup times, oven sizes, draw restriction, etc all vary wildly from device to device. Since I work in the industry I’ve handled literally countless devices (lost count around four dozen lol) so by all means feel free to ask me how they’d compare to the MFLB.

What specifically are you looking for in a device? It sounds like temp control is one desire, I bet you wish you could get bigger clouds, but what else is a desire in a new device?

Do you need stealth? Portability? Budget-friendly? etc

Let me know what are most important aspects and I’ll try to give you a few good options to meet your needs.

• @treeofnikOP
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Love the wealth of information you bring. That 100% makes sense regarding the MFLB being analog… I’ve been doing some trial and error with the grind size and how long I’d push the battery in before inhaling. Definitely still figuring out its language but on the other side my wife hates it because it’s quite tricky to dial in to a specific temp/cloud size/etc and she usually comes away just feeling a little foggy compared to how we smoke with our bubbler.

Your comments regarding the grind size are making me consider picking up magic flight’s finishing grinder as well, initially I sort of scoffed at it… ha.

Generally I’m not too concerned about stealth, affordability is somewhat a factor and (maybe like most people) I like to look for something that doesn’t break the bank and gives a lot for what you pay. Portability is favorable as I can see us using it more as we frequent more places where recreational use is legal.

I think ultimately the ability to “customize your high” is paramount, as I start to hone in on what I enjoy most in terms of a strain, I can see how the vaporizer can further influence the experience.

• Delta 3D Studios
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Lol, this industry has done plenty for me over the past decade, dropping some knowledge is the least I can do to give back.

Haha yeah the MFLB is for sure a very analog experience and takes quite a bit of practice to perfect. There are some devices in my collection I just don’t share with anyone who doesn’t also own the same device simply because I don’t want them to accidentally combust and tarnish the flavor of the device.

The MFLB Finishing grinder is a niche product but it has it’s uses. I like that it locks into the notch on the MFLB when grinding so it dumps directly into the oven for you. But dang it’s a PITA to grind away like that - the dryer the herb, the easier to grind with that finishing grinder. Still it is a VERY popular grinder for many conduction-style vaporizers. I actually sell aftermarket adapters to connect the MFLB to a pax (custom funnel design), or even a mason jar lid so people could fill a glass jar with ultra finely ground herb haha.

Note - there are other grinders like the Brilliantcut grinder (pricey, but damn it’s a nice grinder, I have one) which have different middle plates so you can choose the grind type (fine, medium, or coarse) - just grab two middle plates and you can swap out as needed.

Or if you don’t want to buy any new grinders right now and have a 3 or 4 piece grinder try this trick: Turn your grinder upside down and grind extensively before uprighting your grinder for the herb to fall through into the bottom compartment.

The MFLB actually uses radiant heating as the primary source of cooking, as opposed conduction or convection which is far more common in portable vaporizers. This is partially why it’s such a popular device with a cult following more than a decade after it’s release.

Generally I’m not too concerned about stealth, affordability is somewhat a factor and (maybe like most people) I like to look for something that doesn’t break the bank and gives a lot for what you pay. Portability is favorable as I can see us using it more as we frequent more places where recreational use is legal.

For many years PlanetOfTheVapes (one of my largest retail distribution partners) sold their own POTV One vaporizer (basically a customized build of a HealthyRips Fury Edge vaporizer) for $99. It was an insanely popular budget-friendly device for the company. Basically one of their top five devices still to this day. POTV just dropped an upgraded model called the Lobo which I have yet to get my hands on. But knowing the company and knowing the previous device, I’d say that the Lobo is probably a really good option for the money - it’ll be MUCH easier to use.

While the MFLB may be fully analog pulsing heat to the oven, think of these temperature-regulated portables like a car on cruise control. Just set your desired temp and sip away - the heater will pulse itself as needed to maintain that temperature (within a few degrees).

You can also do some fun stuff with the Lobo since it uses dosing capsules - you can preload those and easily reload the device on the go. I also like dosing capsules for “microdosing” - toss a bit of herb in the bottom of the oven then use an EMPTY dosing capsule as a spacer to hold things in place.

• @schmidtster@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    210 months ago

Little late, but I picked up the arizer xq2 when I got a hernia and had to keep the coughing down.

I would definitely recommend getting one with a temperature control if you intend for medically over just getting high. With a temp control you can modify which cannabinoids you want. So a lower temp would provide for medical benefits, and a higher temperature is where the THC activates.

This is oversimplified, but there’s plenty of charts and resources out there about the temps and cannabinoids.

• @treeofnikOP
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Fair enough. Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look at this one, definitely think getting one with temp control will be a better experience.

• ForestOrca
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

MFLBs are great, it’s difficult to keep the temp where you want it, tho. Find a unit, maybe an off brand, that is >$100, ceramic oven, digital temp control, and good airflow. There are lots of designs out there, and you don’t necessarily need to go with the expensive ones. For example, Pulsar APX V3 or Pulsar APX Pro, Yocan HIT, Airistech Herbva Nokiva, etc. - I think you’ll have a better experience with one of these.

• @treeofnikOP
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Nice, thanks for the recommendations. I’m in the US and moving from a state where recreational is illegal to one where it’s legal so not always clear where to get the right information.

• ForestOrca
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Definitely check with some random person on the intarwebs, first. :-D I got interested in vaporizers from interactions with the medical marijuana community, quite some time ago. The available vapes, quality and quantity, have increased significantly over the years. I figure it’s better to try out something less expensive, to see if it’s an appropriate route for you. Enjoy.

• @Juggs@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    210 months ago

I have a pax 2, and a DaVinci IQ2 that I use for stealth. Pop a different strain in each and off I go. I have a flowermate 5.0 for night time strains at home. Each goes well, are easy to pack and clean, and last ages in a charge.

• @treeofnikOP
      link
      English
      210 months ago

Sweet, sounds like one of those could work well for what I’m looking for. Thank you!

• @WhatsHerBucket@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

Sorry, late to the game here. But if you’re still looking, check out the Pax 3. It’s got an oven for flower and a concentrate adapter as well.

• @Juggs@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

No worries. They each have newer models out, but I have no need to upgrade from what I’ve got. Have a look at video reviews comparing each to their newer models and decide what’s best for you. You can pick up the older versions cheaper if they’ll do that job.

The mlfb isn’t bad, it was my first dry herb vape, but these are miles away a better option.