• CarrotsHaveEars
    link
    fedilink
    47 hours ago

When knowing a rejection is destined, I would rather disappear and see the crush be with someone else. A hope which has been shot down is a scar for life, whereas an attempt never made painfully warms my heart forever.

• @vfreire85@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    241 day ago

surely having a low self-esteem is worse. life goes on. why bother over that one single log when you’ve got all the forest to explore?

• Vanth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    151 day ago

Go all in. See your crush with someone else, confess your feelings to them loudly and in front of their current partner, ugly cry when it goes badly. Leave telling them you’ll wait for them. Text the partner later to say “nothing personal, I’m the right person for Crush and we both know it”.

Let me think, is there anything else one could do to make it more desperate and toxic? Without crossing into actual criminal harassment and stalking of course.

• @Zozano@lemy.lol
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 day ago

Find a partner who looks similar to Crush, replace their wardrobe with virtually identical clothes to Crush, along with haircut, perfume, etc.

Constantly visit shops close to Crush’s house, so it’s “coincidence” when you bump into Crush and Partner.

From there, before they can talk their way out of an awkward situation, joke about how they look like twins, and that fantasy has always appealed to you.

• Vanth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        61 day ago

So uncomfortable. Yes.

“Accidentally” send texts to Crush intended for Doppelganger, carefully constructed to demonstrate how good a partner you are.

• @flubba86@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    91 day ago

I’ve experienced both.

I worked up the courage to ask her out after some of her friends assured me she was single, and said I had a good chance.

She was great about it, said she was flattered and let me down gently with the “oh, I would, but sorry I have a boyfriend” line. I thought it was an excuse to soften the rejection.

A week later I saw her walking on campus holding hands with a guy, and later I saw her in class sitting on his lap. Turns out she really did have a secret boyfriend for almost a month that she didn’t tell her friends about, but after she said it to me, she felt she could make it public.

To answer your question, getting rejected was not as bad as I thought, but seeing her with someone else was unexpectedly worse for me.

I dropped out of that uni at the end of the semester and never saw her again, but still occasionally think about her.

• @menemen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      314 hours ago

“In class sitting on his lap”. Do people really do this? Seems disrespectful towards the teacher/lecturer (might be just cultural differences, I am not from the US).

• @flubba86@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        214 hours ago

I’m not in US either. This was actually in a computer lab, and I got there 10 minutes early, the lecturer wasn’t there yet. Her guy is not in our class, he left when the class started.

• @zxqwas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    162 days ago

Being rejected the first few times is very unpleasant but very important to go from child to adult.

You tried and you’ll get a high five from me, a complete stranger on the internet.

Seeing your crush with someone else will teach you the lesson to kill off non mutual feelings and move on. An important lesson but you did not choose to be brave and take it.

As for what feels the worst in the moment that depends on context and how many times you’ve had it happen before.

• edric
    link
    fedilink
    332 days ago

The latter I guess? Because at least for the former, you tried.

• @Elextra@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      32 days ago

This. At least there is an attempt and you’re not left wondering. Rejection also isnt a bad thing. Its honesty. Rather someone be honest with me then dwell on “could be” “maybes” and just false hope as someone down the thread mentioned.

• Asudox
    link
    fedilink
    61 day ago

Probably being rejected. I mean, both are bad, but the former definitely is much worse. If you are rejected explicitly, you know there’s no chance. With the latter, they might break up and maybe you can become lovers. It’s fairly easy to manipulate someone when they are emotionally vulnerable. Not that I am saying you should do that, just information.

• @tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      111 day ago

There’s peace in rejection though. You can move on with your life and stop obsessing over a slightly ajar door when the door is actually closed. There is nothing more stressful in the world than uncertainty. Closure is the best peace anyone can give to anyone else.

• @Jimmycrackcrack@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      51 day ago

That seems pretty contrarian, nobody likes being rejected and it’s natural to feel envious or sad seeing someone else get the closeness you wanted. Whether or not rejection is a part of life or healthy in the long term it is going to be bad while you’re experiencing it, and feeling negatively when seeing the object of your affection with someone else could arguably be unbecoming since you’ll want the best for them but it’s about ad human as it gets.

• @OurToothbrush@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 day ago

Idk I crush on a lot of folks, I’m also in a long term (polyam) relationship.

Whether or not rejection is a part of life or healthy in the long term it is going to be bad while you’re experiencing it

Why?

when seeing the object of your affection with someone else could arguably be unbecoming since you’ll want the best for them but it’s about ad human as it gets.

I tend to feel compersion over envy

• @Alice@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    41 day ago

Rejection hurts but I still feel good about myself for making the first move. It reminds me I have the guts to try again with a new person.

Seeing them with someone else sucks because it reminds me I dragged my feet and didn’t even try.

• Oh man. The crushes I’ve gone through. Some I’ve helped set up after they rejected me.

Some are bittersweet though. I’m always so happy that they’ve found someone that makes them happy but sad that our friendship dwindled as a result.

• @Num10ck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    82 days ago

maybe stop coveting someone you don’t know well enough and doesn’t know you well enough. if you’re interested, show some interest, but not a lot too early.

• LalSalaamComrade
    link
    fedilink
    English
    52 days ago

I am anti-social, so I have no crush. You too, shall join me on this crusade to stop touching grass.