• Zuzak [fae/faer, she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 years ago

Having simple conversations and open discussions with people who held views I thought were similar to mine.

In my teens I was a big philosophy reader and this turned into economic and political philosophy. And after I read and learned enough I did what any young informed man would do, which is go onto the internet and debate randoms online. I think I would have considered myself a Marxist, and a lot of that background was informed by my readings and own personal experiences of growing up in poverty and working what felt like endless and unfulfilling jobs. It seemed like the morally correct position to take and it seemed like it had a lot of philosophical backing to not be wrong.

But then as I talked to more people I started to just run into… weird stuff. A lot of my philosophical underpinnings were based on things I viewed to be right or wrong. And on some of these debate forums (just here on reddit) I’d run into people who were heavily stalinist or leninist with a large radical anti-capitalist component in their rhetoric. But an objective historical lens shows us the outcome of these specific camps and ideologies which were literally paved by blood and starvation. I think the breaking point for me was when I encountered someone saying that North Korea was better and more ethical than the USA. I had just watched a documentary or read a news article or something detailing that some North Koreans had to eat fucking tree bark soup just to not starve. And here we have some guy typing freely from his computer in an air conditioned room not starving trying to sell this line that there was nothing wrong with literally one of the worse regimes that currently exist. I couldn’t break through to him and it slowly occurred to me that radical ideologies can consume even the most well intentioned people.

Material conditions: :sleepi:

People on the internet challenging my “objective” blind trust in the news: :frothingfash:

• charly4994 [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 years ago

Ah yes the normal way of becoming a Marxist, read philosophy and then let encounters with anti-capitalist ideology along the way with Stalinists de-radicalize you. Most people I’ve met or know online would say on their shift leftwards they had their critiques of capitalism long before they started reading leftist theory. It’s a pretty fundamental aspect of leftism you’d figure, not considering the weird market communist types or whatever the hell flavor of post-left twitter is on.

• SacredExcrement [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 years ago

This sub isn’t deradicalized, its differently radicalized.

:data-laughing:

:miyazaki-laugh:

I used to blame capitalism for everything now I realized all along zoning laws is what I hated

“I bought into the system and am now only annoyed by some of it’s more apparent symptoms which inconvenience me”

Spending more time outside of America, and realizing that my anti-capitalist friends who trash-talked America on social media all day were talking out of their asses & had no idea how good we have it here.

:yes-honey-left: Healthcare please

Talking to tankies and maga people

:both-sides: People who want better things and people who want everyone with too much melanin to be put in camps are the same.

I basically turned 18 and got out of the alt-right pipeline. Never really was into it but many things were appealing, since then I’m very left leaning socially. A fella really tried to radicalise me into communism but the stories of my parents in communist Albania were really eye-opening, when it comes to worker’s rights tho i go full commie mode as a son of immigrant workers that have been exploited. Tbh, i don’t like any ideology, I see many flaws plus I think ideologies are what keeps many people from being objective.

:centrist: “I want drastic change but am unwilling to ascribe to any system which would permit them”

So many just…AWFUL takes lmao

And they’re EVERYWHERE

So much “Centrism is obviously the best” out of morons who espouse that they want change, but are just supporting the status quo

• RNAi [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 years ago

This sub isn’t deradicalized, its differently radicalized.

Well indeed, they are fans of a bloodthirst system

Spending more time outside of America, and realizing that my anti-capitalist friends who trash-talked America on social media all day were talking out of their asses & had no idea how good we have it here.

100% chance they went to Mexico. Buddy, neoliberalism rules almost everywhere, you just saw the flipcoin of the disgusting empire you live in.

Talking to tankies

We should be patient with silly people, but murica brainmaggots are hard to deal with

• viva_la_juche [they/them, any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 years ago

It’s finny to me bc spending more time outside of america made me realize how fucked and unremarkable it is in most every way. Even in much poorer countries my family and I have had as good as or even better health care experiences than in the states. (Which I’m poor so I’m sure there’s better care than what I get in the us but I’d have to bankrupt myself to get it).