“Netanyahu is as close as he has ever been to his ultimate wish: making the U.S. fight Iran on Israel’s behalf,” wrote one journalist.

• YeetPics@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

Who tf is natanyahu?

I was told by some very compelling tankies that America controls israel completely and the military actions of the Israel military are actually my fault directly.

And now you liars are claiming Israel has a leader of its own the entire time? Ridiculous.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

This just sounds dreadful.

It also creates a messed up situation where now Trump can pretend that he would have done a better job than Biden is doing. And all of this was predictable half a year ago, maybe even last year. Does Biden have no control over the military? Does he want more with Iran? Is he incompetent? I just don’t know how to interpret this. Maybe it’s some combination of the above.

If you have any reasonable or properly informed explanation (unlike my vague speculation), I’d be interested to read it.

• TokenBoomer@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

I think you’re correct. It’s all of those things. Biden is surrounded by Military Industrial Complex contractors and revolving door lobbyists. It is impossible to make an informed decision when everyone around you has competing loyalties.

The founding fathers formed the government to protect against the populist majority, when they should have protected it from monied interests.

• OpenStars
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 hours ago

Troops or contractors/mercenaries? I did not read the article (bc I doubt it would say) so I’m mainly agreeing with you that clickbait issues aside, we still are not “informed” about what this all means.

• SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 hours ago

“We need meaningful de-escalation and diplomacy—not a wider war,” the lawmakers added. “Nothing in current law authorizes the United States to conduct offensive military action against Iran. We risk becoming entangled in another catastrophic war that will inevitably harm innocent civilians and may cost billions of U.S. taxpayer dollars.”

This is what the military industrial complex is hoping for.

• WhatAmLemmy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

The fact that anyone thought otherwise is what’s ridiculous. America is directly involved in a new or old war in every decade of it’s existence. Since the war on terror they’ve been in a constant undeclared war; drone striking somewhere in Africa or the Middle East practically every week for the last 2+ decades.

• osaerisxero@kbin.melroy.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

The thing that surprises people is there’s plenty of justified war to be had in Europe, enough to keep the MIC busy for several more years yet.

This is something else imo.

• homura1650@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 hours ago

The war in Europe puts us in conflict with a Country that could actually threaten us. When we go to war in the ME, the only victims are people in the ME.