Gotta get creative with your layoffs when you already did massive layoffs but still need to please wall street.

• Jrockwar@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

There’s a lot of context we’re missing here. For example this happens with my company and the reason is tax implications - if they provided “free money” that would be additional salary and taxed as such, whereas “free meals” are taxed completely differently. There could be completely legitimate reasons. Maybe if they let people use it for whatever purpose, the $25 would turn into $15 due to tax.

What I won’t defend is firing people for this reason. I don’t see how that can be ethically acceptable…

• _edge@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

Yes, i though this, too, but usually companies address this by issueing vouchers that can be only be used for certain businesses or products. This makes sure, the expense shows up as food on the invoice. Nobody cares if employees find a loophole to buy non-food. The company issued food vouchers. That will do.

• TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

Every company I’ve worked for either gave us digital gift cards or, when I was a manager, let us charge meals specifically to our business credit card for a certain amount per month (team outings) without prior approval.

• snooggums@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      14 hours ago

If that is the case the Meta set themselves up for failure for some tax breaks and is taking it out on their employees.

• snooggums@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          13 hours ago

It can be both, since the vouchers have existed for years and are only now getting scrutiny.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            12 hours ago

And with a normal org, they’d simply revoke the benefit and maybe take a penalty from the employee’s future paychecks. Firing someone over such a small benefit is ridiculous and only makes sense if they’re actively looking for ways to cut headcount w/o paying severance or unemployment.