Took this back in March, while visiting our daughter, who is teaching English in Japan for this past year. We took the opportunity to take a couple of weeks to travel around Japan. She is in Hirado, south of Nagasaki. I didn’t want to haul my DSLR, so I made do with the phone camera.

• @biffnixOP
      link
      edit-2
      1 year ago

When were you there last? I hadn’t been since 1990. A lot has changed, of course. But, it’s still a great place to visit.

• @demesisx@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    61 year ago

It shows. I dream of how cool this would look on a pro camera. There’s something off about the sharpness and contrast that is sort of jarring. I can, however, see what your eyes saw that made you want a photo of it. I just wish your camera represented it better.

Any suggestions for a person that may travel to Kyoto next year?

• @biffnixOP
      link
      111 year ago

I debated quite a bit before deciding not to bring my “good” camera. But, as they say, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you see something interesting…

Kyoto was great. If you’re not familiar, and aren’t sure what to see, I highly recommend a tour guide. They can show you what you want. Kyoto has a famous geisha district “Goin” which has a fascinating history, if you enjoy cultural history. A food tour would have been great there, as well - but we did that for the Izakaya area in Tokyo earlier that week…

• @biffnixOP
      link
      51 year ago

The iPhone does have a pretty good night mode, but this wasn’t shot in that mode, as there was plenty of ambient light.

I think this one was in wide angle. I do always shoot in RAW, though, so I can post process in Lightroom. The iPhone does do a lot of color processing on-camera, which I don’t usually like, hence my preference for RAW photos to tweak later.

• 𝐘Ⓞz҉
    link
    fedilink
    31 year ago

Beautiful!! I’ve a question tho as a Korean I never understood so many Europeans come to Korea and Japan to teach English. We literally have so many Europeans now living in my street so i dont undertstand why not go to Africa or Syria to teach English?/

• @biffnixOP
      link
      41 year ago

Because Korea is more developed, I would imagine. And Syria has state department advisories as a dangerous location for Americans to travel. Teaching English is a good way to travel abroad and not have it cost a lot, since they have guaranteed employment in their host country.

The program my daughter is on does all of the hard work in finding a place to live, arranging a vehicle, work visa, all of those complications for a young person living abroad.

• 𝐘Ⓞz҉
        link
        fedilink
        11 year ago

I think Koreans needs to ban English like Chinese did. Chinese ask all the foreigners to learn mandarin or Cantonese if they want to work and live in the country apart from few English teachers.

• Poplar?
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Why do you think it should be banned for foreigners?

• @biffnixOP
          link
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I’m sorry you feel that way. Cultural exchange programs such as the JET programme in Japan, and whatever equivalent there is in Korea are wonderful programs which promote and encourage understanding amongst nations. And the world can certainly use more understanding instead of less. I appreciate the perspective, though.

• @biffnixOP
          link
          edit-2
          1 year ago

And if you wanted to teach Korean in another country, would you rather teach in Syria, an African country, or the US or Europe?

• Drusas
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It’s a beautiful city with wonderful food. I would strongly recommend against going there in the middle of the summer, however. Especially August-early September. You might think you’ve experienced hot and humid, but oh man… It is on another level in Japan compared to anywhere in North America or Europe (and I’ve lived in Florida).

This picture was taken in spring, which is a lovely time of year to visit.

• @biffnixOP
        link
        31 year ago

Yes, we chose Spring deliberately, for the weather. While it did rain a bit in Hirado (southern Japan), it was lovely everywhere else we visited. The timing for Kyoto was really good - just before peak cherry blossom blooms, by just a week or two. So while it was a little crowded, it was nothing like full bloom tourist crowds!

• @biffnixOP
      link
      21 year ago

I highly recommend it. It is remarkably easier these days, with Google maps for transportation. Public transit is amazing there. I’m fortunate that since my mother is Japanese, language isn’t much of a barrier for me, but I saw tons of folks using Google translate just fine. And the dollar is strong against the yen right now, so it’s a great time to go there!

• Bappity
    link
    fedilink
    21 year ago

towns with rivers going through them are just 😩👌

• @biffnixOP
      link
      21 year ago

Heh - I think this is just an old drainage ditch. I imagine post war it was mostly a sewer…. ;)

• Looks good, but I would tone down the sharpness. The phone camera may have it on automatically to make the image pop more, but I find its always a bit too strong.

Consider turning your camera phones raw mode on and get the shot using a manual setup, and then add the sharpness yourself later so that it stays a little more smooth.