• @CoupleOfConcerns@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

If I’ve learnt anything from numerous askreddit posts on the question ‘what is the best feeling ever?’, it’s that the human condition is rather tragic. The best pleasure is basically the relief of discomfort or pain - like taking your bra off at the end of the day or like this one walking into an air conditioned room.

• Hank
      link
      fedilink
      101 year ago

That’s why I consider being alive as irrational for a conscious being. Suffering will always outweigh good emotions so we should come to the conclusion that not being alive is beneficial for our wellbeing. Somehow the majority of us decides to rather endure pain than end our existence.

• @Gormadt@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        61 year ago

In the darkness that is existence there can still be beacons of light.

Ending one’s existence is the end of all of that. No more light, no more dark, just nothing.

I stick around due to those beacons of light in the dark and honestly the more time goes on the more I realize that there’s actually quite a lot of light to be had.

Yeah work sucks for 10 hours a day, but that time allows me to enjoy my hobbies.

The pleasure of a newly painted miniature, the bliss of hiking a new trail, the exhilaration of biking further and faster than I did before, finding new places and things to photograph.

Enjoying a nap in the shade of tree on a lightly windy day, watching the river flow by while I forget to cast my line, watching the clouds flit through the sky while laying in the grass.

If you end it all the only thing left behind is the pain for those who knew you. The gap left in their lives caused by your absence.

Sometimes their big gaps: lovers, friends, coworkers. Sometimes their small: the regular who always stops by, the person with the cool hair you see sometimes, the person who you talked to on the bus that day who you still sometimes see. But the gaps are still there.

I’ve known a lot of people who have taken their own life, the lives of others, and had their lives taken by other people. Those gaps will always be there.

Stick around, look to the outside world, and reach out. There is light in the world if you look for it, don’t let the darkness that dominates the social media landscape be all that you see.

• @Moghul@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          21 year ago

Yeah work sucks for 10 hours a day

The pleasure of a newly painted miniature, the bliss of hiking a new trail, the exhilaration of biking further and faster than I did before, finding new places and things to photograph.

These 2 things drew my eye, as I work 8 hours a day and I also paint minis. I often feel like I don’t have enough time to do all the things I want to do. How much mini painting do you do given that you also hike, bike, and photograph? In addition to mini painting I also read, bike (city biking), and play video games.

I never feel like I spend enough time doing my hobbies and I don’t even have kids or other major obligations outside of work. I suppose I should count my blessings as I really enjoy my job.

PS: I’d love to see some of your minis, maybe you can post some on !tabletopminis@lemmy.world or !minipainting@tabletop.place or something?

• @Gormadt@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            31 year ago

Not as much painting as I’d like but since I got diagnosed with ADHD and started taking meds for it my ability to budget time has exploded.

I can actually start things with the confidence of being able to do them. It was life changing for both my mental and physical health.

I don’t paint minis everyday, more like a day or 2 per week (we’ve all got a pile of shame) and the other things are also usually a day or 2 per week. Photography gets sprinkled into most things though.

No kids here either which is pretty nice mostly, but I do spend sometime with the niece and nephew. They usually dig me explaining things to them about how things work or how things came to be etc. Or hell even just bouncing ideas around and looking up history topics, they’re pretty fun but a handful when I see them.

I’ll have to join those communities for sure, when I first hopped over here I couldn’t find much for those things and I’m going to share some for sure there. I’ve shared some of my others in other communities using some of my alt accounts so I’ll probably share those links there as well.

Thank you for the suggestion.

• @Moghul@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              21 year ago

I don’t have much trouble budgeting time, but I do find it much more satisfying to finish several small miniatures than to paint something large over a longer time. I’m glad your meds are working for you, and you can have an easier time with everything!

I’m the same with painting minis - one or two days a week. And yes, my pile of shame opportunity grows faster than I can diminish it. Every once in a while I decide to not buy any more figures until I’ve reduced it to some point. I think it’s time for that again - no new figures starting from August until Christmas.

Looking forward to seeing what you post!

• @Gormadt@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            11 year ago

Thank you, I’ve been working on and off again on various story ideas for awhile now.

One issue I’m having though is they’re being little plot bunnies.

Basically I’ll have 6 plot ideas, start 2, and have 8 plot ideas instead of 4.

• @groupDiscount@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          11 year ago

There’s an afterlife for every single one of us. Whether it’s something “you” can perceive is an entirely different proposition. Judgment in the after life is where all the anxiety sets in… The idea that we’ll be caste once again, but “yodo” fuck it I’m a good dude and damn a hell.

• Refurbished Refurbisher
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

If you didn’t have discomfort or pain (or negative emotions in general), positive emotions would feel like nothing. You need the bad to contrast the good.

Kind of like gaining a tolerance to a drug, you can gain a tolerance to an emotion.

• @dfc09@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    201 year ago

I’m taking this opportunity to vent. I just got back from a year long deployment from a snowy, mountainous region. I’m geared for cold, used to the cold. Even at the hieght of summer there, it was like … 70°F. They decided to demobilize us in El Paso, TX!!! It’s murderously hot here every day, and our barracks don’t have AC!!! So after walking around all day in a head to toe uniform in Texas desert heat, I don’t even get the luxury of feeling cold, crisp air 😭😭😭

• @spauldo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

It’s stories like this that make me glad to have joined the Air Force during peacetime. The closest I got to what you’re experiencing is walking from my car to the office.

• TimeSquirrel
        link
        fedilink
        11 year ago

I’ll never forget the HEATED TENTS in week 6 in BMT we were using in February. I thought being in the military was hardcore, and here I was sitting in a luxury tent. This was in the year 2000 pre-9/11, don’t know if they still have them.

• @spauldo@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          11 year ago

They didn’t have those when I went through basic in '98, but then again we only had two days of FTX and basic was 6 weeks long total.

What they did have was arctic sleeping bags. You don’t need a heated tent with one of those things. Sleep more than 30 minutes (which was about how long they gave us that night) and you’re sweating, even in the cold.

• @dfc09@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        11 year ago

Yes, this deployment taught me I need to switch to the air force when my contract is up. I like being in the military, I’m just over being army infantry. I did the cool guy stuff! Get me a desk job!!

• @kwking13@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Sounds like you need to be doing that venting in some air conditioning! I’m a cold weather guy myself, and if I could send you on a trip to a freezer for an afternoon I’d do it!

• @Mostly_Gristle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 year ago

The first time I ever went to Albuquerque it was in the middle of July. Every day I was there was over 100 degrees. Being outdoors felt like being in an oven, and the inside of my car felt like a blast furnace, but all the businesses had their AC cranked up to arctic temperatures. My whole experience of being there was moving back and forth between absolutely roasting and completely freezing with basically no in between. It was extremely uncomfortable. This was almost 20 years ago, and to this day I don’t think I’ve ever been so hot and so cold so many times in the same day.

• @Pap3r@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    71 year ago

I used to work in a bar, on hot summer days I’d just go in our walk in fridge and act like I was restocking stuff. Best feeling ever

• Simbomba
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 year ago

Our local supermarket is the ultimate air conditioner paradise on a 28°C+ day