Apollo has become the center of a platform-wide fight between Reddit and its users.

• MeowdyPardner
      link
      fedilink
      01 year ago

Oof

many of them will come back by Wednesday
      We have not seen any significant revenue impact so far
      like all blowups on Reddit, this one will pass

They’re not entirely wrong, many will go right back, but it’s more about the broken trust. Reddit is dead to me and the refusal to listen to the community at all really seals it.

• Caldera
        link
        fedilink
        01 year ago

Yeah, I have some communities I’ll continue to participate in on reddit simply because I can’t find a similar community on the fediverse at this time. But it’s only a matter of time before those communities will grow a large enough presence elsewhere. When the blackout lifts, there are a few communities I’m a member of where I expect we’ll have discussions about a fediverse alternative… ultimately it’s not about how many users are back on reddit tomorrow, it’s about how many users and communities have started to break their relationship with reddit and prepare themselves for other alternatives.

• kobra
          link
          fedilink
          01 year ago

This is a good call out. Users will return on Wednesday and a number of them will return sharing links to places like this (at least I hope 🤞)

• flybynightpotato
            link
            fedilink
            01 year ago

and a number of them will return sharing links to places like this

That’s my plan!

• Anon2971
    link
    fedilink
    01 year ago

I’m absolutely loving how thoroughly The Verge is covering this story. No other tech news site seems to be updating this situation so frequently and with such a supportive tone.

• NotTheOnlyGamer
      link
      fedilink
      01 year ago

There’s a reason for that. While officially for tax purposes, Reddit was made independent because Advance Media didn’t want that big a failure on their books, Advance is still the majority shareholder. That means that the following publications either would be on Spez’s side, or have to keep muzzled. I think it’s better for them to keep out of it rather than wade in and be called out for the mandates that’d come down from Editorial.

• Wired
      • Ars Technica
      • Backchannel

A lot of the tech world goes to those as canonical sources. That means it gets kept dark.