There will be a short 5 to 10-minute outage as I scale down the environment. I was ambitious about the growth of this community during the Rexidus / Rexxit. The server sizes for discuss.online way outpace the daily load. Usage is typically well below 5% on all servers. Lemmy has become much more memory efficient, and I’ve made other adjustments to improve performance. Memory usage hangs around 10% for the backend and 30% for front-end servers.

The target is to reduce to better align with current donation payments. Server costs are over 10x the monthly donations right now.

Let me know if you have any issues. Please, remember to check https://status.discuss.online for updates during the outage.

Thanks, Jason

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    11 year ago

we should chat hardware, I have under utilized equipment on UPS with Fiber in my basement. At minimum we should see about having a backup running on my site.

What do you need/want in terms of CPU/RAM/Storage?

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
    link
    English
    21 year ago

The downgrade was too far in the other direction and had stability issues after restarting.

I’ll have to reevaluate how far down I can go.

The outage lasted from 12:05 pm until 1:15 pm due to complications with database migration.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
    link
    English
    11 year ago

I wanted to comment on there and say we spoke. I won’t be storing user data in a basement. I plan to keep everything on DigitalOcean.