We are running the latest release candidate for Lemmy, version 0.19.0-rc.1. This release candidate includes many changes.

Every release comes with its own challenges; however, it resolves previous ones. We hope this release will resolve a longstanding issue with sync not working, causing a lot of manual work from the admins to keep things in sync.

Please let us know if you experience any weird behavior.

Some known issues so far are:

• HTML entities characters in posts bodies (Changing & to &)
  • The spoiler tag crashes the site if used in the sidebar
  • Mobile apps are borked again

Update 10/25/2023

• We are now running release candidate 3.
  • @biffnix
    link
    English
    49 months ago

Yup, getting authentication errors on Memmy for iOS now, as well. I'm back to browser-based for now…

• Buu
    link
    39 months ago

Is there any update on the third party app authentication issues? Both Jerboa and Sync are not letting me sign in.

Appreciate the work that goes into running an instance and thanks for keeping us up to date!

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      19 months ago

We are tracking the progress of the 3rd party apps on this post: https://discuss.online/post/1294119

tl;dr; App developers need to update to the new API of Lemmy 0.19. Breaking changes were made by the core team.

We decided to update before all the fixes were released for the apps for several reasons:

• We want to push app developers to release updates quick
      • We want to help support Lemmy core development by testing changes and releases
      • We had major issues with the previous version and though the trade of new issues was worth it
      • @jdrch
        link
        edit-2
        8 months ago

We want to push app developers to release updates quick

It’s been a month and Sync doesn’t support it. So much for that idea. Centralization wins again.

That said, the web interface is pretty good on my Tab S7.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          28 months ago

I hope they don’t keep holding back .19 because app developers aren’t motivated to implement the changes.

• @FelipeFelop
        link
        19 months ago

I’ve also noticed that I can’t access communities on Lemmy.world since they updated to 0.18.5

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          29 months ago

This is working now, if you haven't noticed. Thanks for calling it out!

• @FelipeFelop
        link
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I’ve been told by the developers of Liftoff! That they don’t intend to support 0.19RC at the moment.

Has discuss.online been defederated or is it to do with being on 0.19

• @FelipeFelop
          link
          19 months ago

I’ve been told by another developer that v0.19 is at least four weeks away and so there’s no urgency in adding v0.19 compatibility.

Not sure I can put up with the web interface that long.

Is there absolutely no way that we can roll back to 0.18.5?

• @lazyguruMA
            link
            29 months ago

We've tried rolling back multiple times in a couple of different ways. They all end up failing. From what we have seen through it all, Lemmy doesn't support downgrading/rolling back

• @FelipeFelop
              link
              19 months ago

Thanks for responding. It’s disappointing that not a single third party app seems to work with 0.19RC.

Can nothing be done ?

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
                link
                19 months ago

Something could be done. We could fork 0.19 and restore the previous authentication methods. I don't have the time available to do that. If someone does it we'd be happy to run it.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
                link
                19 months ago

Lemmy changed their API contract with mobile apps without warning or API versioning. They changed how requests are authenticated, so it's not the most simple of fixes. Ideally, this change would be a new API version not to break previous integrations; however, that's not how it was done.

We continue to update because issues are resolved with every release; however, new ones appear. We traded some sync issues for API issues.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• @FelipeFelop
                  link
                  19 months ago

I took this up with Lemmy devs and was pointed here: https://lemmy.ml/post/5711722 Where 0.19 was described and admins warned not to use it in production and to have backups due to it being unstable.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    39 months ago

Thanks! I was wondering why Sync was broken again.

• @YaketySax
    link
    English
    28 months ago

I like the idea of the Scaled view; some of those smaller communities don't ever show up unless I view by New.

• @rar
    link
    18 months ago

Thank you for the hard work as always OP.

• @wiase
    link
    18 months ago

Posts from communities I am not subscribed to appear in Home tab in the Voyager app on Android since the previous update (problem was not resolved by last update to version 1.19.3).

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      28 months ago

I’ve noticed that on the web too. However, on the web it’s only occasional.

I’m hoping the final release of Lemmy .19 fixes it.

Thanks for reporting.