I’m considering doing online therapy; however, I’ve never done therapy before.

Would you recommend in-person only, or is online okay? My instance offers some online resources called Teledoc.

I hear it cannot be easy to find someone you like and trust. It seems like the pool of people online is a lot greater than local to me.

• @faux2pasOP
      link
      English
      211 months ago

The site lists LCSW or LPC for people. A lot are social workers. This is just the therapy part.

• @OutrageousUmpire@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

Ok cool! I would give it a shot and see how you feel about the therapist you interact with. Personally I have done both online and in-person and have a mild preference toward in-person.

• @faux2pasOP
          link
          English
          211 months ago

Online & In-Person with the same therapist or with two different ones? I wonder if some just do better in-person.

• @lazyguruMA
    link
    English
    111 months ago

My kids have used Teledoc. It’s like Zoom but with HIPPA in mind. In terms of online therapy, my kids tended to prefer in-person instead. I think it might just be a personal choice though.

• @faux2pasOP
      link
      English
      111 months ago

Why do they prefer in-person? Did they say?

• @lazyguruMA
        link
        English
        211 months ago

They prefer the personal connection you can build in-person. Also, one of them mentioned the lack of ability for the counselor to be able to read body language in a video call as well as they could in-person

• @faux2pasOP
          link
          English
          211 months ago

That’s good to know. I’ll show more of my body when talking and see if they do the same. I don’t have an issue connecting with people over the internet and almost prefer it.

• @frogfruit
    link
    English
    111 months ago

I’ve done both and prefer online. For best results, look at bios and try to find someone who specializes in neurodivergence.

• @faux2pasOP
      link
      English
      311 months ago

I’ve been looking at people with ADHD, Depression, & Anxiety. The search tools are somewhat limited, but I think I found someone. I booked it for next Wednesday. We’ll see how it goes!

Thanks!

• @YaketySax
        link
        English
        311 months ago

Let us know how it goes, please!

• @faux2pasOP
          link
          English
          211 months ago

I will; only a couple of days away! I’m looking forward to it; however, I’m worried that I think I’m going to find some cure for something. I keep forgetting it’s a journey, but I hope things will get easier suddenly.

• @faux2pasOP
          link
          English
          211 months ago

It went great! I’m going to keep seeing her weekly for a while. It wasn’t much because it was a first visit, but I think it’ll go very well. She actually lives within my city but only does virtual. She’s pretty good at it.