I invoke the deep magicks of nerfhaven. Is there a reason we never used doorknob latches as catch mechanisms? They’re already shaped perfectly for a plunger to slide over them, and they come with a built-in trigger mech. Did they just not have strong enough springs, or was there another reason I never saw these in the pre-3D printer days?

• Gloop Tamer
    link
    31 year ago

Probably due to their bulk and weight if I had to guess

• @FrazzlusMaximus
      link
      11 year ago

That was my guess, too. Too bulky, too heavy, too much stuff for too little gain.

All that said, I’d get a good giggle if someone actually tried it.

• AliOP
        link
        31 year ago

I’m picking one out as we speak. I’m debating paying $8 extra for the fancy Victorian door handle.

• @Herbert_WM
    link
    21 year ago

Huh. This might just be one of those obvious-in-retrospect ideas that nobody thought of.

I don’t think they’d make a great catch, for whatever it’s worth. Bulk and weight is an issue; connecting them to an ergonomic trigger may be another. Handcarving something usable that’s much smaller out of plastic hasn’t proven to be too difficult.

With that being said this could make a wonderfully giggle-worthy build.

• AliOP
      link
      41 year ago

The doorknob latch holds back the plunger in its firing position, and turning the knob acts as a trigger and releases the plunger.