Lemmy doesn’t provide any analytics. Give this post a like and/or comment if you use this instance. I’m trying to gauge usage by humans.

I’ll let this census run for about a week to gauge usage.

Results might cause different changes to the services.

I’m doing this because the cost of running this instance is higher than most other instances due to reliability and disaster recovery implementations. I’m curious if I should back down many of these costs if we’re not used fully. I don’t see much activity directly in this instance.

I know that discuss.online wasn’t listed on join-lemmy.org for about a month due to a bug with the Lemmy crawler. They just recently fixed it with their redesign. We are now listed but no longer featured.

tl;dr; is this instance dying? Let me know if you’re here.

• @Myrhial
    link
    English
    96 months ago

I’m here and very much in favour of scaling down versus having the money run dry. As others have stated I prefer this small instance because it allows for freedom. I can perfectly block an instance if I don’t like it, I don’t need it decided for me due to defederation, that’s the opposite of freedom. Do appreciate your efforts to keep the very worst out.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I to am very much here! but as long as there are backups I dont see any reason to have hot spare level of redundancy.

I like being on a smaller side instance so we get the best of both worlds where we can connect to other instances without a big fear of defed. I enjoy content on Behaww and Lemmy.world but the two dont always seem to get along.

Also, if you want to maintain some level of redundancy I have hardware running 24/7 on UPS with fiber internet that I would be happy to work with you on setting up as a backup.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      66 months ago

I use a managed database that costs $120/month alone for just the Lemmy db. I went a little overkill on trying to make this a great scalable instance. I’m paying like $600/month out of pocket running all these services. I have to bring it down… says the wife.

• @infinitevalence
        link
        English
        66 months ago

Hell yeah lets bring that donw, but again Happy to assist on the hardware side if I can. 600/m is not sustainable the wife is right!

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      16 months ago

It’s difficult, it’s getting to the stage where some sort of backup server is needed and that costs.

compuverse.uk went down because of a hardware issue for nearly a month.

Ultimately we might find users on one or two big instances. Which would be ironic.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      56 months ago

Welcome! Let me know if you have any questions! Don’t forget to read the sidebar on the homepage for lots of tips and information.

• @OmgItBurns
    link
    English
    56 months ago

Is there a way to help out with the cost of running the server? I could spare a few bucks if it helps.

• @DashboTreeFrog
    link
    English
    56 months ago

I’m here and using this as my main instance! Willing to potentially toss a few bucks into keeping things running.

• @YaketySax
    link
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Checking in! Thanks for your work, this seems to be about the most stable instance across the whole of Lemmy.

• @tenshukun
    link
    46 months ago

Hello there, this is a really nice instance. thank you for running it!

• @wiase
    link
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I am here, too. Unfortunately I still have problems w/ Voyager app (can’t upvote, don’t get notifications and such) - my favourite way to use Lemmy… But I love it here anyway. :)

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      36 months ago

I know, the app problems are super annoying. I wish Lemmy would just release 0.19 rather than sitting on it like this. They’re giving app developers two months to update and only a handful have done it.

• @FelipeFelop
        link
        26 months ago

I understand that a few apps are waiting on 0.19 imminent release before updating. (Incidentally Voyager should work fine even with the latest RC but because of the way authentication works on 0.19 the native app is best rather than the PWA (a PWA can’t technically support both <0.19 and 0.19))

The other app issue is that several are essentially no longer being developed or at least very slowly developed eg Liftoff! Which hasn’t seen a commit in over three months

Adding in various instance issues with lone or missing admins and servers going offline, it’s a wonder Lemmy is still around.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          26 months ago

They should just pull their apps from the store if they are going to abandon them. I know APIs aren’t supposed to change like this but it is rediculous to just leave an app up that won’t work. It also makes the fediverse seem more shabby.

• @FelipeFelop
            link
            26 months ago

I agree completely, it seems that several are essentially abandoned, a couple seem to have been spur of the moment spare time projects that they no longer have much time for and one is being rewritten so they aren’t updating the existing app.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
              link
              26 months ago

That would make a lot of sense. Which one is being rewritten, that seems extreme.

• @FelipeFelop
                link
                16 months ago

Memmy as the devs said they didn’t understand the programming environment when they made the original version.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
                  link
                  26 months ago

That’s interesting. They’ve been keeping up with development. I don’t have any issues with their app. I’m shocked they’re starting over but they know better than I about the quality of their code.

• @wiase
            link
            26 months ago

Hey! Just wanted to say: It works again! Yay!

• @rar
    link
    26 months ago

Reporting in. I prefer smaller instances to avoid all the drama and ddos attacks the big ones have… plus it’s better for the ecosystem. Scale down as necessary, if growth is needed, it will come slowly.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      26 months ago

That’s true. I don’t have big instance problems. I should enjoy the peacefulness of it.

• @ElfWord
    link
    16 months ago

I stopped using discuss.online as my home instance after it was unavailable through Sync for a month. 😕

And to be honest, it hasn’t seemed like discuss.online has a plan for growth and long-term sustainability? Like others have mentioned in the comments, I would have preferred to find an instance outside one of the big main ones to use as my home base. But as I’ve been using lemmy I keep finding different ways it feels like even with federation, it’s just easier to be on one of the big instances – especially for better search and availability of content.

Besides that, not having any revenue model other than donations doesn’t seem sustainable to me. And the wide array of technical issues (e.g. integrating analytics if they’re not already included) that pop up from lemmy still being so early in development seems to be beyond what a single administrator can reasonably handle.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      36 months ago

I brought on an additional admin to help me out. This site will last. In fact, I’m working on a massive improvement to the Lemmy space. I have several volunteers from Lemmy.world helping out, too. It’ll make many of your points less concerning once it launches in about a month. I’m not quite ready to share to a broad audience what it is.

That is a fair point about the searching and ease of use. It would have made sense if people spread their communities around more; however, everything is in one place, so why not go to that one place? Everyone is either self-financed or earning through donations. I assume some of the instances won’t last.

I have a desire to grow. I bought ads on YouTube and other services to try to gain traffic. The problem is communities don’t want to be on more minor instances, and people follow communities. There isn’t much I can do about it. I’ve tried to create interactive communities and find mods to grow them, but it’s not working. I plan to keep running it; I’m excited about what I will bring to the community. I want to see it all succeed.