• @kenvald
    link
    211 months ago

A lot of stuff is up at work. Busy times and stressful days. Hopefully it’ll calm down starting next week.

• @favrionOP
      link
      111 months ago

I always say expect the worst and hope for the best. Good luck.

• @francisco_1844
    link
    211 months ago

Howdy.

Relatively new to Discuss… is this a general community to Discuss this Lemmy instance?

So far very happy with it… When I first joined Lemmy I found a page which was recommending servers and I got recommended Vlemmy… which recently shut down… without notice (they didn’t even bother to setup a simple page indicating they were shutting down) so went looking for new server and that is how I ended up at Discuss.

• @kenvald
      link
      211 months ago

This Discuss community isn’t specifically to talk about this one Lemmy instance. It’s to talk about anything and everything. For example the fact that Vlemmy unfortunately had to shut down without notice. I hadn’t visited that instance but it always sucks when things suddenly go away.

• @favrionOP
      link
      111 months ago

It’s a chat room essentially.

• @infinitevalence
        link
        211 months ago

yep wide open so long as its within the rules. I use D.O as my starting point for most other instances and communities but there is some good stuff here too. Plus admin is cool which honestly really helps.

• @biffnix
    link
    English
    211 months ago

I spent last week refereeing at the AYSO National Games, in Irvine, California. I just happen to be a soccer referee, and had the opportunity to officiate at the tournament. The National Games are held every two years, at different locations around the country. This year, it was in California, so I took the opportunity to join in on the fun. It was really hot (average high 80s) and humid as heck. The heat on the turf fields (fake grass) got so hot, the rubber pellets melted into the plastic of my turf shoes!

Still, it’s always inspiring to be a part of such events. I hope you find inspiration in your week as well.

Cheers, all.

• @favrionOP
      link
      111 months ago

Does that lead into the World Cup?

• @biffnix
        link
        English
        111 months ago

As a referee? Not for me. Perhaps for some of the excellent younger referees who choose that path. I just enjoy the organization, and being a part of the joy of competition.

• @favrionOP
          link
          211 months ago

I meant is that a part of the tournament to get to the World Cup or is it a completely separate event?

• @biffnix
            link
            English
            111 months ago

Gotcha. No, AYSO stands for “American Youth Soccer Organization” and therefore the AYSO National Games are a youth tournament. While many AYSO players have gone on to professional careers, and even the US National team (AYSO alumni include players such as Alex Morgan and Julie Ertz for the women, Landon Donovan for the men, as a few examples), AYSO is focused on youth soccer. The World Cup is for adults playing for their respective National teams…

• @favrionOP
              link
              211 months ago

Got it. Clearly I am not a soccer expert.

• @biffnix
                link
                English
                211 months ago

No worries. The whole point of online discussion communities like this is to learn new things, meet people you’d never come across otherwise. It’s all good. Hope y’all have a great weekend!

• @favrionOP
      link
      211 months ago

Trying to revitalize this place a bit. Chilling with the cat.

• jgrim of SublinksMA
        link
        211 months ago

Thanks a lot. I’ve been so busy lately that I’ve been unable to do much to grow this community. I appreciate it!