If I need to concentrate, I must have music or a conversation in the background on TV or something. Does anyone else need something else pulling for their attention when they’re concentrating? My mind will quickly wonder if I don’t have music.

• @frogfruit
      link
      111 months ago

Same but I have tinnitus so I need white noise, such as a fan, going. Music is too distracting even without lyrics.

• @Mojojojo1993@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Same. I use sound to block my internal thought process. Without music my mind keeps getting swept up in thoughts and such.

Why I hate silence. My mind fills the void.

Didn’t realize this was neurodivergent. Interesting, likely some overlapping going on.

• @lazyguruMA
    link
    311 months ago

I usually have to have something (music, twitch, etc…) going or I’ll start talking to myself (you’ve seen this happen, lol)

• @infinitevalenceM
    link
    311 months ago

depends on the day, sometimes I need background music, sometimes a podcast, and on occasion a video. I just have to be careful with video’s because if its too engaging it will fully distract me.

I have a subscription to DI.FM which has a very wide range of electronic music so generally I can find the right sound/tempo for my current mood and needs.

• @favrion
    link
    211 months ago

Wonder what exactly? lol

I like deep hums like that of a fan or air conditioner. I used to need music to go to sleep as a child, and it took me a while to wean off of that. I still use a nightlight…

• Empathy [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

I’m the same, even asked a psychologist about it and they confirmed that it’s normal.

I used to have Starcraft gameplay videos playing in background while I worked. I couldn’t keep track of what was going on in the game, so it made great background noise without distracting me.

• @infinitevalenceM
      link
      111 months ago

Game soundtracks are awesome for productivity! I sometimes will put the Stellaris soundtrack or Civilization soundtracks on because they keep me focused without pulling me out of my task.