• stinerman [Ohio]@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The concept of rewatching a movie is almost foreign to me now given that I have access to a library of tens of thousands of movies. It would have to be very good and something that whoever I’m with hasn’t seen it.

Of course I used to watch the same movie about month or so back when I was growing up in the 90s.

• pomodoro_longbreak@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

That’s curious because I find I rewatch more movies than ever before, since it’s so easy to find them, and I already know whether I like them or not.

• ExLisper@linux.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Movies/shows I can still see many times today:

• Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - it’s just so nicely structured, you always notice something new
      • Glengarry Glen Ross - I finished watching it for the first time and I thought go myself “fuck, I could watch it again” and I did, watch the whole movie again straight away. I can still just go back and watch it. The acting is so amazing it never gets boring
      • Veep - best show ever, I’ve seen every episode probably over 10 times and I still watch it all the time, like when I’m cooking or something. It’s just soooo fucking perfect
      • stinerman [Ohio]@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I actually listen to Futurama to help me sleep. I’ve added some other shows I know just as well. They are in that genre of extraordinary media that I can watch/listen to/etc. over and over again.

• smeg@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I used to watch the same movie about every month or so back when I was growing up

I don’t think this is a technical limitation, I think young children really like repetition because their brains are still learning how to predict things

• Gork@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

To the chagrin of parents who endure Cocomelon or Caillou rerun marathons.

• Kogasa@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I once had the flu so badly I couldn’t get out of bed or yell for help. My parents put on “Flushed Away” (movie about some fuckin rats) on dvd and it looped at least 4 times before anyone came back to turn it off. One of my core traumas

• rustydrd@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Back in the day, me and my siblings recorded movies on VHS by sitting next to the TV and starting/stopping the recording for commercial breaks. The best movies were those with only small snippets of commercials, and my most treasured movie was a nearly “clean” copy of Die Hard that I’ve watched probably somewhere between 50-100 times.

• Deebster@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

We had a “kids tape” that had countless things recorded over each other. The second half was just a collage of the tail end of various cartoons and shows. When it got to the Abba-soundtracked documentary about a carnival it meant you were at the end of the tape.

• ElderWendigo@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

How about building a core memory around a weird French movie you only saw because it was in the wrong case when you rented it from Blockbuster?

• neuracnu@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Bringing in the deep cuts:

• The Peanut Butter Solution
    • DARYL
    • Ewoks; The Battle for Endor
    • Enemy Mine
    • Police Academy and The Blues Brothers (edited for broadcast TV)
    • Sadrockman@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

“I still don’t understand…what’s a hooker?” “Ok,its him.” Im glad somebody mentioned D.A.R.Y.L. That and Police Academy 2 were my go tos as a kid,since we lived in bfe.

• MacN'Cheezus@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Today’s childhoods will be defined by watching some semi-obscure streamer or meme video on YouTube that only your friends understand.

• doctorcrimson@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

There is more obscure media than ever, it just connects less people you’re likely to ever meet in person.

• 5in1k@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Mine was some weird fairy tale cartoon where a mom goat fills a wolf with rocks and they drown in a well.