Oh, this got delayed a bit.

I am still reading Valour’s Choice by Tanya Huff. Book 1 of Confederation series. Almost near the end though. Enjoying the book a lot.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• soli
    link
    fedilink
    64 months ago

I’m reading Erdogan Pizza by John Dolan. It’s a collection of real travelogues from an utterly unadventurous, shy nerd who keeps managing to get kicked out of third world countries while being dead broke. I couldn’t imagine a greater mismatch between the personality of someone and how they’ve chosen to live their life. Very amusing.

• soli
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Yeah, I’ve seen An Idiot Abroad and quiet enjoyed it. Different vibes though, Karl is incurious and is being pushed into it (which is entertaining in it’s own right). John is absolutely doing it of his own volition, though I don’t fully understand why, and is deeply curious. There’s also a palpable sense of desperation and danger that comes from being someone’s life, instead of a well funded work holiday.

• Aviandelight
        link
        fedilink
        14 months ago

They also made a nonfiction book out of this, but I liked the show better.

• mozz
          link
          fedilink
          24 months ago

Honestly I don’t really like Ricky Gervais’s gleeful cruelty or his style of comedy, but I think the show was really good for Karl Pilkington. You could see how mousy he was in the first few episodes, miserably eating the Chinese lady’s toad just because she told him to, and then partway through the first series he kind of finds his balls and he’s yelling at the guy in Jordan “I’m not getting on the fucking camel!” when stuff is unreasonable beyond a certain point.

Travel is good for you.

• @stellargmite@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            14 months ago

The series with Warwick Davies is great. Brilliant clash of attitudes / personalities between Karl and Warwick resulting in some both hilarious and uplifting stuff. inkeeping with the trajectory Ricky’s stuff has generally taken.

• @TheMinions@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Been reading through Mistborn Trilogy 2, current on the back half of the Bands of Mourning.

This trilogy has not been as captivating to me as much as Stormlight or Mistborn 1.

I have Elantris queued up to read more of his works next, but I might take a bit of a Sanderson break here soon since I know Horneater and Stormlight 5 are due later this year. I’ve heard good things anbout Earthsea Anyone have some recommendations about where to start those books?

• @pancake@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

I read through Earthsea last year and I just went in the order they were published in. I would caution that books 1 and 2 feel very different so if you aren’t big on the first one, give the second one a shot before you call it quits.

• @SorteKanin@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    54 months ago

Wheel of Time. On the fourth book now. Pacing is a little slow but it is interesting enough to keep me reading. Though I really have almost no clue how this story keeps going for several more books. Guess I’ll see :)

• @JimmyChanga@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

The pacing change from the first three books is noticeable but I felt it was welcome. The first three are almost contained quest novels, where they chase a goal and more or less complete it by books end, the scope changes a bit in book four onwards to a larger view of how you pull this disbanded world together to face the final fight. It really doesn’t return to the early books pacing, but once you adjust, I felt at least that the novels now intriguing for the change.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      24 months ago

Well, the pacing becomes even slower, and there are books where nothing happens. Still, it’s my favourite series. So, keep reading, and maybe pace yourself so you don’t get burned out.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      14 months ago

How is he as a fiction writer? I have come across posts by Doctrow over the years, but have never read any of his fiction.

• Bebo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    44 months ago

Just started on a re-read (audiobook) of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, by Douglas Adams, also read by him. Oh I love him as a narrator! Also continuing with Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      14 months ago

Ah, were these also on radio or just read as audio books?

• Bebo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        24 months ago

I think these were available on the radio. To be honest I got them over the high seas since I didn’t like the audible narrator (don’t remember his name).

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          24 months ago

Ah, I’ll look up the details.

• theghostie
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Almost done with N.K. Jemisin’s The World We Make.

Also reading the fourth John Dies at the End book.

And listening to Why We Sleep.

• @HotPurplePeach@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      14 months ago

What do you think about Jemisin? I’ve read the first two books of her Broken Earth trilogy, and I quit half through the third book. For me, the first one was great, second was meh and third one so bad I wasn’t even interested in how it ends. I think she did a very good job in the beginning with setting up the world and its mysteries, but revealed too much too fast, so when we came to the third book there was almost nothing of interest left.

• theghostie
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

I definitely liked the first Broken Earth book the best as well.

I’m not sure how I feel about the city trilogy either. The characters and their voices are great, but a lot of the more abstract scenes/actions didn’t really do anything for me.

I think she writes well enough that it keeps me reading (and wins her awards), but I haven’t loved most of her books.

link
          fedilink
          English
          24 months ago

Good to know, thanks. Maybe we should check in in about 10 years when she gets more writing experience. Or maybe it’s just not our cup of tea.

• theghostie
            link
            fedilink
            14 months ago

Yeah, there are some books that are highly recommended–even some that are personally recommended to me by a friend–that I end up not enjoying. I don’t think that makes them bad books, just not the right book for me.

link
              fedilink
              English
              24 months ago

Exactly! Tastes differ. But that makes me vary of recommendations and I end up second guessing every 5 star review. Who knows how many good books I passed up 😅

• theghostie
                link
                fedilink
                24 months ago

I try not to pay a ton of attention to reviews for the reason, for books and movies. Sometimes I’ll check afterward for something I enjoyed and find that it’s not well reviewed. Maybe I have trash taste 😅

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  24 months ago

Lets say you have a refined taste 😉 sometimes what’s most highly rated is boring stuff intended for the mass audience. For example, I stopped watching USA movies and very rarely see a USA series because I don’t enjoy it at all. It has great reviews, but doesn’t interest me, and that’s ok. I’d say that people who like it have a bad taste, and they would say I have a bad taste. Lets just say we have different interests 😅

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      24 months ago

Oooh, that seems interesting. Going to check it out.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          24 months ago

Uhhh… ahem I am actually not a cricket fan, just sometimes interested in sports books. Like last week someone mentioned (and recommended) Soccer in Sun and Shadow by Eduardo Galeano, and I added it to my wish list.

• @pancake@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    34 months ago

Just finished Wheel of Time book 2 (The Great Hunt) and about to start book 3 (The Dragon Reborn). I absolutely devoured book 2 so I’m super eager to continue.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      14 months ago

How is it? Are you enjoying it?

• Ioughttamow
    link
    fedilink
    34 months ago

Finally got my Gideon the Ninth hold to pop up at the library at the right time. 2 hours in and digging it

• @blubton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    34 months ago

I am reading a bit too much different things at once right now, so this is a fairly long comment:

I’ve been reading “For Whom The Bell Tolls” by Ernest Hemingway for a while, and I have read 5/6 now. It’s about partisans in the Spanish civil war. I am enjoying Hemingway’s prose and the story, but I think I will wait a bit after this before reading any of his other works.

I’ve been meaning to read the great Chinese classic novels for a while, but I never got to it. Last week, after seeing someone on here was reading it, I decided to start reading “Romance of the Three Kingdoms”. The story (about the fall of the Han dynasty and the war of, you guessed it, three kingdoms) is very fun so far, but there are like 50 names in the first 50 pages, so I have trouble remembering who is who. I’m hoping for a bit more dialogue too.

I’m also halfway through the “Aeneid”, the great Latin epic by Virgil. It’s a decent story, but I should have gone for a modern translation instead of the old one I have now. I think I’m going to stop with this one for a while, as this is the perfect point to stop.

Lastly, I’m reading Leo Tolstoy’s “The Kingdom of God Is Within You”, his most well-known non-fiction work. I am a massive Tolstoy fan (War and Peace is my all time favourite novel), so I wanted to know more about his philosophy. It is very interesting so far, with how he makes arguments for non-violence, as well as his arguments against the principle of the Church. I don’t always fully agree, but it is a very thought-provoking book.

Last week I also read Tolstoy’s short story “Master and Man”. I think it may be the best work to read as an introduction to Tolstoy. The setting is perfect for this time of the year, the prose is amazing as always, the psychological depth is unbelievable for so short a novel, and the moral part is typical for his later works, but not too prominent that it bothered me in any way. So if you’re interested in reading some Tolstoy, you should definitely read this one!

• @ladytaters@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

I’m listening to Hidden by Benedict Jacka, the fifth book in the Alex Verus series. I really enjoy both the story and the narrator for the audiobooks!