• @c524iwlj@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    385 months ago

Complaint first, thrawn suffers from the same problem as Sherlock homes in that their genius is a contrivance of the author. I.e. they know perfect things because they’re written to.

Other than that the books are well written & paced. Amongst the best Star Wars books there are.

• @Jagermo@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    275 months ago

They could have taken them and turned them into episode 7-9. Even had an explanation for Palpi in there.

• BaldProphet
    link
    fedilink
    235 months ago

It is a sort of pulp science fiction that was very typical of it’s time. It’s not literature, but it is a fun read. Timothy Zahn has a degree in physics so his work is always reasonably accurate, especially his more recent work. He’s one of my favorite science fiction authors.

I highly recommend the trilogy. It’s a worthy addition to your Star Wars novel collection.

• @caseyweederman@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

I read the first remake and it was fine.
      I don’t know if it just couldn’t stand up to all of the hype, but it was… not great.

• ĐƗǤƗŦΔŁ Ǥ€ΜƗŇƗ
    link
    fedilink
    185 months ago

These are the sequels in my mind regardless of what Disney says. They will probably be pulled from further for future TV and film. Thrawn is arguably the second most interesting antagonist after Vader.

• BaldProphet
      link
      fedilink
      125 months ago

Thrown is easily the most dangerous villain in Star Wars, which will be critical in the success of the Mandoverse. It’s exciting that of all the characters to bring over from the EU, they chose Thrawn.

Although I could have stood for some more Wedge Antilles and Corran Horn.

• ĐƗǤƗŦΔŁ Ǥ€ΜƗŇƗ
        link
        fedilink
        05 months ago

Agreed. I think the success and quality of future Mandoverse content will largely hinge on how well Thrawn and perhaps some storylines from Zahn’s books are adapted.

• @MajorHavoc@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Thrawn is one of the few fiction villains who is also written as an effective leader. It makes him scarier.

And his ending is perfect.

Even though most of his troops are very loyal, his downfall comes from one of the many people he abused during his rise to power.

• @setsneedtofeed@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      115 months ago

That he is a very different threat than Vader and the Emperor helps preserve the accomplishments of the heroes in the movies. He doesn’t feel like he is undoing events and resetting the setting back to a status quo. Thrawn is a character that exists in the natural evolution of the setting.

I really love how his plans come from being in the underdog position. The first book especially is him making a clever play for resources while having almost none of his own.

• @setsneedtofeed@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Everyone is gushing over Thrawn, and I agree, but I want to give some attention to how Luke, Han, and Leia all acted and talked like they did in the movies.

The books captured Luke’s optimistic and patient attitude, Han being clever yet rash and coating it all in a veneer of half baked one liners, and Leia seeing right through Han’s BS and in being very practical.

Being very early EU material, the books have such a different tone than works made after the universe was fleshed out. The Jedi order was treated as something so long gone that even records of it were hard to come by, the clone wars were vague and the implications about them set a very different picture than what was later established, and even the sith as a coherent order weren’t thought of yet- instead there were Jedi and fallen Jedi.

The feel of the books rode such a perfect line, being easy to follow but compelling.

• Shalakushka
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

This was the EU that felt the most like the original trilogy, and I don’t think they have been matched yet.

That being said, the fact that they’re just bringing Thrawn over doesn’t bode well. Thrawn is cool but that’s not really exclusively what these books are about, and I guarantee Asohka Tano dealing with Thrawn will be less interesting than these books were.

• @PlasticExistence@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    85 months ago

The original Thrawn trilogy is good, but I personally prefer the reboot trilogy by Zahn. That’s the character that we saw in Rebels, although he has a lot more depth in the books. His motivations for rising through the ranks of the Empire are not what you would expect them to be.

The second new trilogy goes into Thrawn’s youth and culture, and while I still enjoyed those three books as well, I think you basically have to love Thrawn’s character to get through them.

• UKFilmNerd
    link
    fedilink
    English
    85 months ago

After a long drought of anything Star Wars, this was very welcome and it turns out it was a great story as well.

I also remember the Dark Horse adaptation being really good as well.

• @hardaysknight@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    55 months ago

I’m in the process of reading it now. Just finished the 1st book, Heir to the Empire yesterday. So far I’m really enjoying the series. The audiobook is wonderfully done.