• jadero
      link
      fedilink
      185 months ago

Anyone who hasn’t followed that link needs to do so now! It’s got human cadaver arms manipulated with fishing line and guitar tuning knobs. It’s got a link to an article titled “Your Face: Punching Bag or Spandrel?”

You can’t possibly find a better way to spend 10 minutes!

• jadero
          link
          fedilink
          15 months ago

Oh that’s not good. Obviously, I’ve chosen to allow js, but basic stuff should work without it.

• jadero
          link
          fedilink
          45 months ago

Heh. I gave up trying to figure out voting a long time ago. I find it both fascinating and disturbing that there are people out there who see anything I write as worthy of a dowvote. :)

• jadero
        link
        fedilink
        35 months ago

Gauges measured stress on the metacarpals during punches and slaps on padded-dumbbell targets created with a pendulum-like device.

I take “a pendulum-like device” to mean they suspended either the arms or the targets and swung them to a collision.

• @fidodo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          25 months ago

This whole device sounds morbid but hilarious. Did they like strap dead bodies to a swing and position them like Superman and swing their bodies into a wall fist fist?

• jadero
            link
            fedilink
            15 months ago

That would have been awesome, but I suspect that it was just the arms and that it was powered in some way, hence “pendulum-like”.

• @thefartographer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

You read the same article I did, so I’m also a little fuzzy on the exact details other than attaching fishing lines to tendons and possibly tightening them with guitar tuners. I’m not sure how they launched an attack.

• jadero
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

Gauges measured stress on the metacarpals during punches and slaps on padded-dumbbell targets created with a pendulum-like device.

I take “a pendulum-like device” to mean they suspended either the arms or the targets and swung them to a collision.

• @thefartographer@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Fucking dangling modifiers. I thought they were saying that they manufactured targets using a pendulum-like device. I kept reading that statement thinking it was such an oddly specific detail to vaguely reference. But using a pendulum to ensure consistent force and accuracy makes sense.

Although, for my money, I’d rather strap a dead hand to a rocket-powered sled.

• jadero
              link
              fedilink
              35 months ago

Yes, it was very badly constructed. I had to read it a couple of times to decode it, and I have the advantage of having graded essays :)

• @SPRUNT@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    225 months ago

Humans evolved chins shortly after inventing pillow cases. No other animal has a chin, nor do any other animals have pillow cases.

It’s just science.

• Ook the Librarian
      link
      fedilink
      95 months ago

My dog has a pillow case. How fast do chins grow? I don’t think he would look good with one.