• raoul
    link
    fedilink
    English
    535 months ago

An explanation for the French one:

It’s the id of a law that allow the president to bypass one of the chamber. This is of course one of those “it’s just in case of emergency, bro. I swear we will not use it to force the passage of unpopular laws, bro…”

It has been used 420 times by the current government.

• IWantToFuckSpez
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

420 is definitely not a funny number in the Netherlands. Except maybe with the permanently online or stoner crowd. I’ve never heard or seen a joke with 420 in the Netherlands. Most people wouldn’t even get what it means and more people would recognize 69 as a funny number than 420.

• @ggwithgg@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

Well, I disagree because I do see it referenced to a lot. Sure it depends on the crowd but if you have never heard or seen someone joke with 420 then I think that’s also quite exceptional.

• @airbussy@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    225 months ago

Wondering why Poland and Turkey aren’t in the “Other” category when as far as I can see they’re the only ones with that number

• @BlazeOP
    link
    English
    165 months ago

On a separate topic, I am thinking about creating a more laid-back, relaxed community for Europeans, without news (as they seem to be the central focus of this community). I’m still investigating which server would be the best to host it, lemm.ee seems to be a good candidate.

• @BlazeOP
    link
    English
    95 months ago

Can someone from Poland explain?

• @tetris3d@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      155 months ago

No, it doesn’t refer to Spartans. It is a rhyme that doesn’t translate well into English and is on the same level as ligma or joe mama jokes.

Whenever someone ends their sentence with 300 a quick-witted individual may reply with “suck a tractor drivers cock!”. 300 and “tractor driver” rhyme in this case in Russian, bringing the desired comedic effect. As you can imagine teenagers love it and even try baiting their friends into saying 300.

You can find many words that rhyme with any word for a dick in English and make this joke free of charge. I will start:

— “Have you seen my sock?”

• @tetris3d@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          45 months ago

Haha, you got me.

Though I think cock would rhyme better with sock, but you’ve got the gist of it. Keep it up!

• @crispy_kilt@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

But триста and тракторист don’t really rhyme. They sound a bit similiar at best. Could you explain?

• @tetris3d@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Sure. There’s a thing in a lot of languages called grammatical cases. In basic terms cases make a word “adhere” to the rest of the sentence. Different languages have different amounts of cases. For example, German has four, Ukrainian – seven and Russian – six cases for nouns.

In this case the word тракторист would change to тракториста and it rhymes with триста.

The whole joke looks like this:

— Триста.

— Отсоси у тракториста!

• @crispy_kilt@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Понятня, спасибо. Я знаю о падежах, мой родной язык - немецкий, и я немного знаю русский.

And just to make sure no one reading this thinks speaking a little Russian means supporting Russias dictatorship:

Слава Украини!

Россия будет свободна!

• PugJesus
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

Might be Cargo 300, Soviet category for wounded personnel.

• @GeniusIsme@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      25 months ago

On a side note, “jokes for 300” is a template response for joke, referencing to a lockal jeopardy! show equivalent. This response means that joke was mediocre at best.

• @antonim@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    45 months ago

I’ve no idea why Croatia and Bosnia have 69 while Serbia and Montenegro have 8, when surely both “funny numbers” are well-known in the area equally. 420 is also known just about everywhere, not just Netherlands.

• @antonim@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

When someone says “osam” (eight), you reply with one of the rhyming insults

“Nos ti posran” = Your nose is covered in shit

or

“Na kurcu te nosam” = I carry you on my cock

They’re rather silly insults, I think nobody actually uses them beyond the age of 12, but everyone knows them.