• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    15 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Canada is contributing another $35 million worth of military equipment to Ukraine as the embattled Eastern European country’s allies meet to discuss its future needs, and as Russia’s full invasion edges toward the two-year mark.

Defence Minister Bill Blair, who participated in the Ukraine Defense Contact Group (UDCG) meeting via video link, said Canada is providing 10 Multirole Boats from Zodiac Hurricane Technologies, valued at approximately $20 million.

Blair also announced that Canada will pay for civilian instructors from Montreal-based Top Aces Inc. to train Ukrainian pilots to fly F-16s being donated by Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands.

For the first time since U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin established the international group to support Ukraine in April 2022, the United States is hosting the monthly gathering without being able to contribute anything.

“I urge this group to dig deep to provide Ukraine with more lifesaving ground-based air defence systems and interceptors,” Austin said in opening remarks broadcast from his home, where he is still recuperating after prostate cancer surgery.

The $1.2-billion US contract to make tens of thousands of artillery rounds is intended to replenish the dwindling stocks of NATO member countries as they supply ammunition to Ukraine.

The original article contains 460 words, the summary contains 195 words. Saved 58%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!