• @xyzzy@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    245 months ago

Roy is the protagonist in his own man vs. society story. Society is the real villain in Blade Runner.

• @comrade19@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    165 months ago

Id say hardly a villain. He was created to take commands and then forced to self destruct right when he worked out enough about the world. In the end didn’t he save deckard? More human than human

• Chuymatt
    link
    fedilink
    135 months ago

Antagonist. Villain is totally the wrong descriptor.

• @yeather@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    105 months ago

No one is really the villain. On one side we have a man trying to make it in the world and do his duty and job, while the other is a rogue ai trying to survive in a world that wants him gone.

• @jordanlund@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    95 months ago

The very best villains don’t see themselves as villains. :)

In Batty’s case, he was born into slavery. Sanctioned slavery. Bryant tells us that they hijacked a shuttle to escape and killed the entire crew, but is that even true? Or just another manipulation by Bryant?

Certainly Batty and the others would see killing a shuttle crew to escape slavery as necessary, even if it DID happen…

• the post of tom joad
    link
    fedilink
    65 months ago

I thought to myself “how can he take exception now, isnt he dead?”

Yes he is tears in rain now. this quote is from 1982

• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    55 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Blade Runner star Rutger Hauer did not see his character as a villain, and the actor took some exception to that notion while doing press for the film’s initial release.

The iconic Ridley Scott sci-fi movie, set in 2019 Los Angeles and starring Harrison Ford as a former police officer tasked with hunting down synthetic humans, turns 40 on Saturday.

In Blade Runner, Hauer’s Roy Batty is a bio-engineered humanoid, who — along with fellow Nexus-6 replicants Leon Kowalski (Brion James), Zhora Salome (Joanna Cassidy) and Pris (Daryl Hannah) — is being pursued by Blade Runner Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford).

Largely misunderstood by the studio when it was made and then by audiences when it was initially released, Blade Runner underperformed at the box office and received mixed reviews from critics.

The film is also notable for having seven different versions, a result of cuts and alterations demanded by the studio when it was released and restored over time for fans.

A sequel, Blade Runner 2049 directed by Denis Villeneuve, was released in October 2017.

The original article contains 384 words, the summary contains 175 words. Saved 54%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• @1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Kind of a dumb reporter. So ugly people should play villains and good looking people should play heroes. Are we inside a children story? :)

In the real world, good looking people commit the worst crimes and get away with it too, because they have better odds of having important jobs with strong influence.