Most servers that I am interested on joining are hosted in Europe/US. The ping on those servers are usually 200-400 ms compared to big mastodon instances like fosstodon.org and universeodon.com (20-50 ms). Would this affect the responsiveness in a noticeable way?

• key
    link
    fedilink
    English
    115 months ago

That’s certainly high enough to affect the feeling of responsiveness. It won’t feel as “snappy” as it would without the latency. However, it’s easy for a difference in server-side processing speed to dominate that degree of latency. Lemmy isn’t super optimized and different instances can run on wildly different hardware with different levels of care put on DB tuning.

• @spaduf@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    45 months ago

Some of the apps will struggle with higher ping rates. I have some issues on thunder

• @Blaze
    link
    English
    45 months ago

I kind of noticed that it’s a bit slower if the ping is high (another continent)

On which continent are you located?

• Rikudou_Sage
    link
    fedilink
    English
    35 months ago

Not really that important, the first load might be really slow, but after that it should be smooth. The api responses will be slower, but it doesn’t matter that much.

• deadcatbounce
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Not really.

I joined early stuff was unstable. I couldn’t join one that was in my country (UK) and eventually managed to join one in Oz without knowing - just my luck!

I don’t have any noticeable delays in content loading unless there’s a general problem with the version of Lemmy.