Hey there fellow neck-beards and grey-beards!

I have a motherboard with USB3.1 and I need to down clock it so its always 5 Gbit/s and never faster.

Is there any way to do this, my DuckDuckGo Fu is not finding the right combination of words.

I use Arch BTW…

Just kidding im still running Manjaro.

Thanks.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      105 months ago

I have a USB extender that wont run at any other speed, but its much faster than 2.0 so I would really like to get it working consistently.

• Possibly linux
        link
        fedilink
        English
        65 months ago

The hub is malfunctioning then. USB devices register themselves and there capabilities on the bus.

• @infinitevalenceOP
          link
          English
          25 months ago

Not sure what you are suggesting… The issue im trying to fix is that this extender only passes 5Gbit/s so if I plug in something that can negotiate up to 10 or lower it will try to configure the lanes that way and the extender will fail.

The only device I have managed to get working is a USB WD Elements HD. Everything else I have tried that should support 3.0 never connects.

So I wanted to test to see if I could lock the port at 5Gbit/s to eliminate auto negotiation from my trouble shooting.

• @cmnybo@discuss.tchncs.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            85 months ago

Connect a 5gbps USB hub to your computer. Now you have a USB port that is limited to 5gbps to connect your extender to.

• @infinitevalenceOP
              link
              English
              25 months ago

ahh makes sense, I will see if I can find one!

• Possibly linux
    link
    fedilink
    English
    25 months ago

Sounds like chicken and the egg problem. Speeds are based on what the device supports.

• @giacomo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    15 months ago

Maybe with udev rules? ATTRS{speed} maybe? Lol idk, I’ve never tried to downclock USB speeds.