• @psychothumbs@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      185 months ago

While that is kind of close to Earth in the grand scheme of things, the tantalizing place they’re referring to is the habitable zone around its star where the temperatures are right for the planet to have liquid water on the surface.

• @wahming@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      35 months ago

Why so? The article says astronomers are hopeful about the possibility of atmosphere and liquid water

• @pantyhosewimp@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        35 months ago

Tidal locking plus solar flares.

Every YouTube video from credible sources is filled with several unlikely ifs regarding habitable planets around red dwarfs. The odds are slim.

Also, in general, I avoid journalists informing me what scientists are saying and get my information straight from scientist communicators. Journalist income is based on advertising views, and they think that “new exoplanet probably does NOT have aliens” won’t generate sufficient ad revenue.

• teft
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

M type stars are tiny and cold compared to the sun. For this reason they can host planets that orbit much closer. In this case the planet is inside the goldilocks zone which means it’s at the perfect distance for liquid water to exist.